need more HP

55

Asked by Jun 17, 2008 at 02:01 PM about the 2000 Honda Civic Coupe EX

would it be worth it if i wanted to gain hp to put on racing headers, a racing intake maniflod, and a high flow cat on my hondas SOHC vtech engine which already has AEM cold air.

55

why don't u try installing a performance exhaust system

55

i already have a racing exhaust just with out the catback.

8,595

Considering you already have a 'racing exhaust'.. you could gain a little but the stock heads are fairly restrictive you won't get the most out of that unless your port/polish and/or cam the engine. Doing all of the above you'd likely gain anywhere from 7-15hp per engine liter... so gaining somewhere between 10-23 hp. Otherwise you'll gain between 3-7 hp per liter so 4-11hp... All depending on quality of work and parts of course... This is assuming a CAT back is reasonably superior to whatever you consider a 'racing exhaust' to be. Keep in mind your exhaust gets too wide and you'll loose back pressure which most engines are tuned for, which could result in low torque when the engine speed is low.

8,595

He's persistent... If we don't answer the question he will ask again, and leave ill-informed coments in 'your garage' page.

155

lol. the o famous domestic vs. import. Of course you are not factoring anything else other than who wins. Glad you payed X amount when this 4 thousand dollar civic keeps up or actually passes with less horse power. To the OP: You have a very underrated motor. You're only options if you want real gains is BOOST or swap. If, you are willing to read up and search and learn more about your own car, you can shop around and build your own turbo kit for less than 1200. Motor swaps will depend on pricing of the motor. conventional swaps can be anywhere from 1g for LS swap to 5G's for type r. pricing usually includes self labor. Best way to know your car is to actually work on your own car.

55

so what do you have in your civic.

155

Frankenstein b18a bottom with Ls crank, It-r rods, It-r Pistons. B16a head. Gs-r Tranny. Car is untuned on a JDM Gs-r ECU with stock header, single cam throttle body and exhaust leak still keeping up with the new VW GTi's when i had FULL house. This is how my car sits now. Lowered it more had to take off the lip.

35

i agree with craig i wouldnt even waste my time or money but if i had to id go cold air and header but its just a waste my time with that burner

8,595

I get the feeling he's done most of the basics and has a vested interest in the car... Haven't rebuilt a Honda before, but if you can take em from below see if there is the possibility to swap out for higher compression pistons. Higher comp pistons will give you more power in of themselves and will make gains from many other mods more effective... The downside is there is increased strain on the rotating assembly. I wouldn't push compression too much. A quick google shows compression rangeing above 11:1... That in mind I'd stick between 9:1 and 10:1 compression... These seemed to stick out after a little research... http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/sr-149181.asp Dunno how strong the stock rods are you may want to upgrade thoose as well if you go that route. Perhaps stronger springs and retainers on the valvetrain as I'm not sure what the stock configuration can handle safely.

85

That is true, very true. But i hate domestics, most imports are okay, i'm just more of a Toyota kind of person. But Honda's (on exceptions) shouldn't be tuned, because the majority don't even look nice.

155

oh yeah... Bolt ons for that motor is worthless unless you think a grand(guestimate) for 15-20 whp is worth it. i wouldnt waste any more money on that motor unless you're ready to get serious.

10

To my understanding, anytime you bring more air into the engine, and then open up the back side, like larger catback, you gain horse power, sometimes little, sometimes more. On my Honda Accord 2001 LX, 145hp stock, it made it much faster. Not sure how many horses the cold air, racing header, and catback added, but it was faster. auto tranny with shift kit, pulled 0-60 in 6.5 seconds or so. Not too bad.

I have a 2010 Civic EX Coupe R18 no V-tech and im wondering the same thing. How do i increase hp? I realize its a Honda but im limited on money and its what i could afford so it is what it is i dont need to hear jokes im here for serious answers. I already have a CAI but i dont know what else i could do for cheap hp. Please help thanks