I don't really have much experience with cars so I desperetly need help to find out the problem with my car

Asked by Jun 23, 2016 at 04:17 AM about the 1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX

I have a 1999 Honda Civic and it won't start, the car was taken from the previous owner so the ignition was busted. I replaced it with one I found in AutoZone and I also added a button to start it. The fix worked for a while but now it won't star. The key goes in and the lights on the dashboard turn on but I press the button and they shut off, it won't crank either. If anybody can give me a hand with my problem then that would be great! I would be glad to give out more info about the car if it's needed to find the problem

The key has a transponder chip in it and needed to start the car. What parts did you replace? Just an ignition switch? The lock cylinder?

You modified your car to save money- you bought it broken, then tried to cheap out- just get a mechanic to fix it the way the factory built it-

Bruce Steward

This vehicle does NOT have a chip in the key. Sounds like the battery cable may not have a good connection at the battery or maybe the Starter solenoid wire isnt connected properly.. Id check both of those items first. hope that helps. :)