Where can I find the computer?

Asked by Jul 08, 2013 at 12:28 AM about the 2004 Honda Civic LX

I am receiving the code p0705 after replacing the Transmission Range Sensor. I do not want to redo the wiring harness if it is still the computer that is actually sending out the wrong input. I sent the car in to a mechanic who replaced the computer(he called it the transmission computer) that is in the passenger side of the dash, along with other minor things that needed replacement.

However, the D light continues to flash randomly, and somethings the code will disappear but return so I am assuming either it's the computer or the wiring harness.

The reason I replaced the computer in the first place was because I suddenly lost power driving down the road so I gave it a little more gas, and boom. My car stalled. It's an automatic trans, but that is the best explanation I can give, and would not restart. Refused to acknowledge the key, A/C blew hot, gauges did not work.

He towed the car to his shop, fixed the computer like mentioned, then noticed the code p0705 reading. Replaced the Sensor, and now I still receive it. I just cannot find the problem.

20,415

Who is working on this car? You, or the "He" mentioned in your question? It sounds like you guys are just guessing at the problem, and, to me, that sounds like the problem- replacing the computer, are you going to replace the wiring harness next?! Modern, 21st century cars are not meant to be worked on by amateurs

He is the mechanic who was suppose to fix my car. However, when i called him back saying the problem was still there, he told me he was done with my vehicle. I dont think he knows what is wrong either. I am hoping there is a remote start or aftermarket alarm that is shorting it out, otherwise it is the harness because tbh. It looks like it has been fixed before and taped with electricaltape. I bought it used.

20,415

He is not a mechanic- he is an amateur- he sounds like a crook- my dear lady lovelace, with a car you bought used, with electrical tape hanging out, and a pretender working on it- I would say you are in trouble- in danger of spending a whole lotta money on a car that is uninspiring- at this point, wouldn't you just like to clear your mind of computers and wiring harnesses and electrical tape and just go out and get in a car and drive? Try to get rid of this thing and learn from this- be careful when you buy a used car- and find a real mechanic

I realize now he is a crook considering come to find out he is the mechanic that originally looked at the vehicle before it was sold. And i have tried getting a new car but alas i am stuck with payments because no one will give me.enough for it so im stuck fixing it anyway

20,415

omg- making payments, too- I wish some of the people who argue with me on this forum about buying used cars on payments would read this- I always advocate buying new cars, if a person has credit- at least the buyer knows they will run and gets some value for their hard earned cash- anyway, at this point, you are gonna have to try to wiggle outta this one the best you can- it would be nice if you would just start a new post here and we can take this thing to the next level- "stuck with a broken car and making payments- what do I do?" we can get some ideas from other gurus- just off the top of my head I can only think that you could get rid of this car, and the payments, by trading it in at a new car showroom

I have tried to trade it in, and they require a huge downpayment that, if i had it, id just pay the car off with it and then trade it in. Silly dealerships. And i had no credit which is why i got it used but the guy screwed me over.Now im five months pregs and having to repair a vehicle that is costing more in repairs then what im buying it for.

20,415

Man, what a story- I have much sympathy for you, and I am thinking and wishing all the best for you- I can only offer some suggestions- I have lost track- is the car running right now? Maybe the first problem (dying and not starting) wasn't a computer problem at all- maybe it was something like a fuel pump- do you have a friend, family member who can help you with this car, who knows a little bit about cars? And please, I know it's a serious problem, financially, but please take care of yourself no matter what happens- eat right, stay positive, don't worry and stress out- this incident was not your fault IN ANY WAY- that's just the truth- it happens to all of us- unless we are rich, we must go out into the car world and try to arrange the best ride we can- and if we are kind people, and trusting, there are fools and criminals there waiting to take advantage of us- a curse on them- and many blessings to us for staying happy and positive despite these hurtful games that are played on us- you have to be happy for two now- focus on the positive and deal with this car problem as it goes along- seek the support and advice of friends and family- and stay in touch with us here- we care too

The car runs which is why I believe it was the computer that caused it to quit running. My gauges along with the A/C did not work, and the ignition hesitated in allowing my key to start the car. And even started, the key light on the dash flickered. I've had the fuel pump checked before prior to the problem, because I noticed I had a problem cranking the car. I even had a fuel system clean, you know that really expensive one? I have a mechanic in the family who said he might be able to help me test the wires that connect from the computer to the TRS, and if the wires is what wrong, he might also be able to help me fix those as well. If that's not the case, I can only hope to find a remote start or aftermarket alarm installed under the driver dash that is causing the problem. I just do know, in the long run, I will probably end up having to replace the wire harness, because the factory light grey covering on the wires has been removed from the motor, to the battery, down to the trans, and up to the dash board by the alternator, and replaced with electrical tape which tells me someone has done work on the wires in the first place. Hopefully, like I mentioned, they ended up installing an aftermarket remote start or alarm system. Until I can find someone who can help me do more thorough diagnostics, I'm screwed because I am not paying Honda 98$ an hour just to dismantle the front end of my car to determine the problem. I'd have no money to fix it once they take it apart!