what does it mean when the maintance required light lights up

Asked by Feb 25, 2007 at 03:11 PM about the 2004 Honda Accord LX

the maintance required light just came on in my car, what does this mean?

18,695

Hello, Chances are that it is time for some good ol' routine maintenance on your Accord. That is what this light typically means. The other thing I would recommend checking is to make sure the gas cap is on tightly, as this can activate this light as well. Best of luck! CarGrrl

Best Answer Mark helpful
15,135

Most newer cars have a built in mechanism (probably just based on mileage) that triggers the "Maintenace Required" light to go on. The dealer (or probably your local mechanic) can turn the light off so you don't have to stare at it. It's supposed to help in letting you know that the car would normally be "require" maintenance based on the manufacturers schedule.

1,340

PLease read the honda accord car manual or search on google you will find it. Go to page 56 (98 accord manual but it means the same for all the cars.) you can see that after 7500 miles it just reminds you to do the regular maintainence thing simply put go get an oil change. If u do it with a honda dealer they will switch off that light. But if you go else where u can swtich it off after you have done the oil change. The light can be swithced off as follows. 1)turn on the key but do not switch on the engine. 2)turn off 3)hold the reset button and as u hold it turn on the key but dont start the ignition. HOld it for 10 -15 secs and u can see that the light goes off. This maintenance light does not mean something is wrong with your car . it just reminds u to get the maintenance done.

170

it means your car is due for maintanance!!!!!!!

300

Yeah! Listen to Mark lol, he's right. Actually from 03 to present, all of the maintenance reminders are triggered by the crank sensor. It counts the revolutions of the engine regardless of milage. depending on how many miles you have on it, this light may mean its time to flush the radiator, change tranny fluid ect...

120

2000 acura v6 a light came on that says check an a matainence required came on what does theses two lights mean ?

80

Have you ever had the timing belt changed? Are you the first owner and/or do you know that answer? The maintenance light is as they say in prior answers, yet be leery of ignoring that maintenance light. If that sensor in the camshaft is noticing a slipping...interference motors can be unforgiving, "IF" the timing belt is the case. Also, if the timing belt does need replacing, or tensioner needs replacing, don't skip around needing to replace the water pump also. All of these parts are all in the same place and it is more cost efficient to replace all 3 while replacing one. Trust me, it's a lesson I had to learn the hard way.

40

verified works on 2005 model

190

I'm glad I checked this site before going to the mechanic, thinking it was something that actually needed to be repaired. I have a 2005 Accord Ex, do regular maintenance at the dealer, an everything that needed to be changed was done, so I assume that it was just a preset warning alarm in case u didnt. Pressing the reset bute (on dashboard panel - pic attached) works, see comment above from "saint61", it does work! Now i feel I bought some time until my next regular visit for maintenance and the light is off!

200

2005 Honda crv the mantance lights is on

380

service code a12 what does it mean

380

service light on a12 what does it mean

380

2009honda accord service light code a12 what does it mean

60

If you say maintenance required may mean oil change does it include gearbox oil or only the engine oil. Again, is there any is signal for gearbox oil change

20

Okay saint61 was right

20

Thanks you guys

60

I was also wondering why this light was ON even after eng. oil change. then this guy Saint61 rescued ;) this worked perfect..saved my time & money...

120

Ive got an 98 Accord Ex - 77k miles. Check Engine light just came on. Had oil change 3 months ago.

95

I have a 2012 Honda Pilot and everything was new 8 months ago. I did not put many miles on, I had checked the oil and it is very golden so I freaked when a light came on saying I need an oil change, that the life of my oil is 15%. Then, the emission light came on saying something was wrong with my emission system, then a notice came on saying check my fuel cap. Well, the cap was on fine! I was thinking, this car is falling apart! I am glad to read here what to do!

Saint61 is simply a genius

Saint61 u too good.

My car when im driving it pulls .

Speck of dirt under gas cap seal, loose gas cap,or vented cap (wrong!) has been installed to replace the vacuum cap, can trigger the useless "Maint Req'd" light. On 6 cylinder it goes ON at 7500 miles, on 4 cylinder engine, on at 10,000 miles since last OIL CHANGE reset...

2006 Honda Accord got code on the CD Player what does this mean?