Why do all my windows roll down automatically when parked?

25

Asked by May 04, 2008 at 09:17 AM about the 2004 Honda Accord EX V6

After parking and locking our 04 Accord we have several times returned to find all four windows down about two inches. is there something or feature about this car that I don't know about.

460

The reason your windows are rolling down after you lock the vehicle is, you are holding the remote unlocking button too long when you open the car. There is a similar feature on a lot of post 1999 cars, BMW's and a lot of top of the range Fords also have this function. If you try holding the unlock button on the remote locking fob for a few seconds, then all the windows should open simultaniously and if you hold the lock button for a few seconds, then all the windows should close fully. Hope this helps

110

When I push my unlock button and hold it, the windows will go down automatically...maybe when you are unlocking it you are holding it down longer than you think? It is a nice way to get the hot air out of the car while you are close to it

155

you are accidentally opening ur car windows with the key fob by pressing unlock for 2 long or your key is really dirty and is stuck in unlock mode to reclose windows from outside you have to insert the key and turn it into the lock position and hold it there you can't close the windows with the lock button hope this helps

1,060

Missygirl - don't listen to the B.S. about you being the problem that the windows go down. I have an '03 Accord EX and it does the exact same thing. I took it into the dealer b/c they kept giving me the same lame excuse ...until they themselves drove it off - parked it - went back - and saw the windows were all down. I'm now told that it has to do with the driver-side door locking system - whatever that is. it's costing me about $290 to fix. I'm still fuzzy on the details, but I keep running across this question on blogs everywhere and I keep seeing the same lame excuses. I know your post is old, but I'm hoping this answer will help someone else in the future.

550

bm329 - I have the same problem with 08 accord ex; dealer thinks it has something to do with UNLOCKING the car, but that's not when it happens. It's when I've already LOCKED the car, left it, and returned t find the windows down. The dealer wants to check it out. We'll see.......

120

Crap

120

AlleMy 2004 Nissan pathfinder has brought joy.and fits thru out the years. Right now its sitting in the driveway with the front half covered in tarp. In the last four years or.so I've woken up to rain or snow storms and the windows had been down for HOURS!...thank god/dess for leather seats..still..the other day I drove 60miles at 4:30am to work on my dogs blankies..seriously. called Nissan..they were like"hmmmm bring it in for the cost of.your new born"..kidding...but he did say hmmmm...and let me not start on the engine light coming on at 30,000. And the small fortune I paid to never get it fixed..to never pass inspection...

120

Otherwise...great vehicle..fun in the snow..and for camping...good luck out there folks...

350

I just found this post answering the question for my 2013 Accord. I am sorry folks, I thought you were all nuts. I went to the car which is parked just outside our den window and pushed the unlock. The second time I held it. The sunroof and all four windows went down. I am no longer a skeptic. When this happened yesterday, our neighbor saw the windows go down. He thought I was letting the hot air out before leaving. No, I was in the den and the unlock button was compressed in my pocket in my recliner. It does work for the 2006 CR-V. I tried it and nothing happened. Thanks folks.

150

I'm glad I found this post! This happened to me abiut 20 minutes ago! I thought someone, somehow, remotely opened the windows to my 2007 Honda Odyssey, to be asshole! I just came out if Costco...I was in there for only a few minutes returning something...when I came back out, all four windows are down AND IT'S RAINING!!! My hands were pretty full, and I had an umbrella, to boot, when I went in the store. I must've been holding that unlock button down and didn't realize it. I sat in my car forever trying to figure out how hat happened, b/c I know when I got out of the car, the windows were closed! The only thing wrong w/ this explanation is that after I read through these posts, I tried to do that from inside the car the windows didn't go down!

350

Perhaps your windows did not go down was because you were IN the car. My wife did not have her fob when she tried to enter the trunk. I tried to open from inside the car and it did not work. (Our car does not have keys exept for locking the trunk when using a valet. It has keyless start and entry.) To get the windows to go down, you push the unlock 2 times and hold the 3rd time. It works every time.

180

This just happened to me too (2013 Accord). "Why would anyone break into our garage just to roll down our windows?!" Turns out a double-tap of the "Lock" button controls the window/sunroof. Crazy.

90

Honda Accord v6 ex-l 2009 -same thing. Accidentally kept the button down and the sun-roof and all windows started opening. Hope it wouldn't happen by itself some day in a parking lot, because otherwise it's a great car and I can forgive it some minor whims.

100

OMG....this has been happening to me for the past couple of days...and today it was 4 degrees outside and I was frozen because everytime I locked my car and started to walk away the stupid windows and sunroof would open...I tried it 8 times ugh !!! I thought it had something to do with my automatic start I have on the car 2009 Honda Accord...Now I'm like a crazy person I keep going outside to see if they are all down and open again ...thank god It's only a 2 door lol.... so I'm not crazy when i came online and read all your remarks lol...

70

Yep! I have a 2010 Honda Accord! And it does the same thing! I thought my car was possessed! But I tried what was suggested above, and if I hold the unlock button on my remote too long, it rolls the windows down partially, if I press it again, it rolls them down completely! But on my remote, the lock button does not roll them back up. I'm so glad that I found my answer here instead of wasting money on a mechanic! Whew! No ghost! Lol!

If all of what I'm reading here is true, why is there not something in the owners manual about this problem?

50

It's been happening with my Honda Ridgeline for months and couldn't figure out why until today. Pressing the unlock button a couple times roles down the windows a little at a time. Nothing in the manual about it.

20

what happen if make a lowered my honda accord 08,

90

OK this is an extra feature they offer nowadays, it might be somewhere in the manual, I just did not find it (though I was not looking so thoroughly) just check out the link below: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/your-key-remote-can-also- roll-down-your-windows_n_1857673.html

360

Well, I've read all the explanations for why all windows on late model higher-end Hondas are found in the lowered position as well as the sun roof. That is cool if you DESIRE to lower all windows and the sun roof at one time to quickly let some cooler air replace the built-up oven heat. The very tragic lowering of the windows can accidentally happen if the unlock button is pressed a second time and held. The more tragic news is that it can NOT be disabled from an option or driver's preference setting. I have found my windows lowered on three separate occasions, once at home only minutes before it began to rain and twice when I started to depart from work. I've asked my service manager at the dealership to contact Honda to get a "factory kill" for this unwanted baptism feature. His regretful answer was; "there is no such feature or option". I now try to remember to toss my keys onto the desk and not leave them in a vulnerable place such as my pocket where an accidental opening could occur.

110

Dido. Every service dept rep will say, "Bring your car in so we can see what's wrong." If they have never heard of this problem then they haven't been working at Honda long enough. I think that it is complete BS that they can't kill this "feature". It is a risk and should be at the customer's decision to disable. Shame!!!

360

Apparently most of the people that have mentioned that they have found their windows lowered always park in a covered area because "unwanted water" in the car was seldom, if ever mentioned, only the mystique of how the windows were lowered. There is a second concern as well in that the vehicle becomes vulnerable to someone pilfering through the console, glove box and anywhere else they desire to access. Considering both types of intrusion, I feel that Honda is being excessively callus and uncaring to a serious oversight in that they have not provided an option to disable this horrible design deficiency.

70

My 2013 has done this several times, but never on purpose. I walk around with my key fob in my pocket and sometimes coins, keys or other objects apparently come in contact with the unlock button. It has happened in my driveway but, so far, I haven't been caught by rain. With the prospect of rain damage that can happen I would rather have this feature disabled but that doesn't appear to be an option.

50

This happen to my 2013 Crosstour last night! We had a very heavy thunderstorm and came out to the garage this morning to find the windows down and the sunroof open. We were horrified - thought our car had been broken into inside the locked garage. Once logic returned, we thought that the intense lightning had somehow messed with the electronics and opened the windows. Just tested the key fob and sure enough, everything opened. However the lock button does not close anything. Just happy to have the mystery solved!

50

Same thing happened to me today for about the third or fourth time. I have a 2013 Honda Accord. I love the car except for this one flaw in design. I stopped at the service center where I bought the car and the serviceman stated that it is not a flaw, but that I just need to be more careful in the future. At that point, I knew I was getting nowhere and I needed to solve the problem myself. So I thought hard and came up with a solution. I figured if I put the remote key in a plastic box, it would prevent an accidental opening. I used an old hearing aid box for my key and an old earring box for my wife's key.

obviously Hondas do not relock themselves after 30 or 45 seconds.

70

Obviously mine does relock itself. I experimented several times, even laid my keys down on a table to make sure I didn't do it. Heard it lock itself every time. Checked doors. They were definitely locked.

Thank you JMikeS. most new cars will relock themselves in 30 or 45 seconds. Some owner manuals do not explain this feature.

210

This is all bs about the remote. People are sayingg that when they get back to their cars that the windows and sunroof are down. Not the windows are going down when they try to unlock the doors. It happened to my 2014 accord last night and we had severe thunderstorms. So my car was drenched. I have the no key start up remote which I don't use the remote manually. I keep it in my purse so the only thing I do to get in my car is pull the handle and when I want to lock it, I use the black button on the door as well. I've tried getting in my car while my daughter has my purse and she's by the trunk of the car and the door will not open nor will it let me lock the door. So how is it the the remote open the windows and roof from inside a house, store, building etc. You have to be a certain feet in order for the remote to work. This is a manufacturer issue and the matter should be addressed for a recall. I know personally that my remote didn't open those windows. Honda need to be held accountable for this issue. I've researched this issue and Acura is having the same problem. Anybody have any ideas to hold Honda accountable?

10

This is off subject a bit but several times since getting my '14 Accord Touring I noticed that if something in your pocket presses against the fob, it can also trigger the horn alert. First time this happened, I had no idea what caused it but knew what would happen if I didn't get it shut off pronto; the neighbors would be at my front door! I've since become very careful with the fob when it's in my pocket!

80

This same issue recently happened on my 2013 Accord. I attributed this occurrence to having the remote fob in my pocket along with some additional items: (coins, keys, etc.) Apparently, one of my keys attached to the fob ring had held down the remote unlock button while I was I was relocking the door using the driver door handle button. Very dumb design! Here are the steps I used to reproduce the issue: Lock the vehicle using the door handle button -> take out your fob -> push the unlock button -> then turn you back and walk away from the car -> Now Push down on the unlock button again. Keep walking away if you want to - but I assure you all your windows and sunroof will be open when you turn back toward the car. Scary! Now imagine these steps occurring on their own, when fob is in your pocket/purse and you enter a store, a restaurant, or place of work. When you arrive back to the car, you will be surprised… I was lucky nothing was stolen from my car during the 2 hours that the windows down, and sure glad it wasn't raining hear in Seattle at the time. I think, to put pressure on Honda, to get an OFF option for this stupid by-design feature. Everyone should call their Insurance companies and complain. When they start having to pay out for things stolen, they will pressure HONDA. Dale

150

So I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey and I have similar problems - windows opening, side doors sliding open, lift gate open. The difference is that in many cases this is happening at night when I am asleep and my keys aren't in my pocket, but laying a in drawer. There are standards for systems such as these and I think one of the biggest problems is that the Honda remote keyless entry system works in a range that far exceeds standards. I can open my car windows/doors/etc from a football field away, so even if the issue is that I've compressed a key on the fob, it simply shouldn't work unless I am in close proximity (3 meters or 12 feet). NOT 300 FEET!!! I asked my local dealer if I could talk to the regional sales rep for Honda and I was basically told that I couldn't. So, I am taking my car in once again and if they can't fix it, I am going to file a Lemon Law complaint.

I've been following this issue for quite a while and it seems still nothing has been done. GM waited 10 years before it rectified its faulty ignition switches which resulted in deaths. VW waited ages before it rectified it's abominable transmissions. Toyota refused to acknowledge the fact that its vehicles could have ECU related faults, instead, insinuating that a floor mat was responsible for jamming accelerators and companies wonder why people take out class actions? I have no fear of being sued for my comments, because ever thing I state on here can be well documented from media reports. In other words, everything is true. I could go on, but there is recalls in the newspapers every other day. If a vehicle, such as Hondas' windows roll down by themselves, then there is a computer issue or it MUST be programmed to do it. Recalls don't do companies any harm initially. They probably increases consumer confidence in some incidences. Ignorance and contempt for customer complaints affects profits and when that occurs, problem solved.

65

It's not a problem. Wake up you guys. It's meant to be. If you hold down the button for more than a second and you are holding it down firm it rolls down al the windows part way. It's a feature so that heat in Florida can get out of the car so you can sit in it right away comfortably. If it's not in Florida it doesn't matter. There is nothing to get upset about just don't hold the button down..

160

We have been going out to our attached garage only to find the sliding doors open or the windows all down. The car was not locked so it had nothing to do with holding the unlock button too long. This is on our 2014 Honda Oddessy. Sounds like Honda has a problem.

120

More than likely, a class action law suit will eventually get there attention.

445

My 2013 Accord EX had all windows down and the sunroof open, 3 times. I assumed it was my mistake the first 2 times via the key fob. But the third time the key fob was on the dresser untouched for 28 hours. Somehow the car is opening up on it's own. Thunderstorm the first 2 times. Very cold 10 degrees F the last time. The inside was drenched the first time. Open windows and open sunroof can, and does, happen without input from the key fob.

110

I'm having the same problem with my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. I was aware that my car had that feature because I have used it in the past but I know for a fact that the windows just went down all by themselves. My car has been sitting in my garage for two days unlocked with the keys on my dresser. I left my house in my other car for a few hours and when I got home the drivers side and passenger side windows were all the way down. There was no one at my house that could have let them down. It seems crazy that something like this could even happen but there is no other explanation for it. Something must have malfunctioned for the windows to go down all by themselves. I’m now worried that this could happen again.

110

We've had years of drought in California, however, last night it rained and in the morning all the windows of my 2013 Honda Accord, (including my moonroof) were ALL THE WAY OPENED!!! My key was lying flat on a countertop on the opposite side of the house. I takes me several minutes to get my (house) front screen door and wooden door opened. If I had accidentally pressed the key fob (while in my pocket), I would have heard or seen my car windows rolling down. One more odd thing, it rained all night and my car was lightly wet, which means the windows & moonroof opened all on their own minutes before I looked out my house window. The rest of my family was still in bed which means no one touched my key fob. I took in all the helpful info everyone posted, but It all still remains a mystery to me.

40

This happened to me last night in Southern California as well. The likelihood of this happening accidentally is so small. And the car did not seem wet enough to have had all the windows and moon-roof open for 16 hours in the rain. It rained for at least 7 of those hours. At least I have leather seats, but it was shocking to walk outside to find everything open this morning. I have a 2014 Accord EX. And had my keys out of my purse to unlock my condo gate and then check the mail. The mailman saw me get out of the car, and go into the condo. I think he would have noticed all my windows open in the downpour and come to let me know. So I too think it somehow happened overnight - triggered by the rain. So strange.

80

OK it has happened to me twice now in my Honda Pilot and both times it was raining outside. If I'm locking it not pushing the unlock why would this happen? All the post reference unlocking but this is happening after I have locked the car and went inside?

445

I checked with my Honda service department to have the "window down" feature removed. They said it cannot be removed. But I am not finished with Honda about this.

180

Wiselady, if you read the posts, the problem is that people often have their keys in their pockets and if they sit a certain way or the key gets bumped (or, in my case, I lean against a kitchen counter) all the windows open without your knowledge and if it's raining or snowing, it could be hours (or all night) before you find out - and by that time, the vehicle can be filled with rain or snow - or have everything stolen from inside. VERY bad design not to have an option to disable it! Not the quality I have come to expect from Honda. I drive a Ridgeline and this happened just yesterday and when I went out in the morning, all my windows were down! I hate it! Yes, Honda should be responsible for all damage / cleaning or stolen articles.

80

Mine only seem to do this in rainy weather which is really strange?

110

I'm hoping I have resolved the issue I was having with my Accord. I called my local Honda dealer and they assured me that there must be a problem with my key fob since my remote was sitting on my dresser both times the incident occurred. I only had one working key fob at the time because the battery was dead in my other one. So I took the battery out of the one I was using at put in the one that was dead. It has been over a month and so far I haven't had any more problems with the windows going down by themselves.

20

you have a short some where or the fuses to the windows are going bad

135

2014 Accord Sedan Owners manual page 128 "Opening Windows and Moonroof with the Remote" describes this "feature". As described by many owners in this post this "feature" is a disaster because unlike the remote to unlock the door where if the door is not opened within a specified period of time (30 seconds) the windows/moodroof remain open. Currently looking for a fix from Honda.

130

2014 Accord I knew about the option to roll the windows down with the FOB I also have the fob in my purse and never take it out as when I walk up to the car it knows who I am and I can unlock the car without getting the Fob out of my purse so basically it is always in my purse. I met my husband after work for dinner and had my work laptop in the car with a bunch of other stuff and it was raining. We came out from dinner and there is my car all the windows open and the moonroof open too. I was in a panic that someone messed with my car and was worried about my work laptop being stolen. I would loose my job if that happened! Everything was still in the car thank god! But this feature needs to be removed or at least the availability to disable it. I leave my dogs in the car to run in the store and lock the doors and if the windows went down by themselves I can tell you my dogs would jump out of the car. Honda please make it available to customers to disable this feature. The 10 or 15 seconds to cool off your car before you get into it is not worth all the other headaches of things getting stolen or your animals jumping out of the car!

60

Hi. I parked my 2014 Honda Jazz at a busy shopping centre yesterday and left. When I returned to the vehicle all my windows were down. I'm positive the windows were up before locking the door. Is anyone having a problem like this?

180

Exactly! I HATE this! What a crazy set up that can't be turned off! I lay down in my house once with my keys in my pockets only to find all the windows down the next morning! Good thing it wasn't the following night when we had a huge rain storm! Insurance won't cover it! HONDA MUST CHANGE THIS!!!

180

I then found out that if the "unlock" button on the key is long-pressed, it opens all windows all the way and does not roll them back up! Then why, if you press the "unlock" button once and it unlocks the vehicle, why does it lock automatically again after a short time? Can't it roll back up the windows after a short time too? AHHHH! (obviously a bit stressed about this)

135

Opening windows and moonroof with the remote (key fob) According (pun?) to our Honda dealer and the regional technical rep Honda has NO FIX for this problem. Quite astonishing considering that most newer Honda's now have literally dozens of owner set preferences and Honda has had full knowledge of this long standing complaint. All we, and hundreds/thousands of other owners are requesting is a preference to turn this option OFF to prevent unintentional windows/sunroof opening leaving the vehicle open to the elements and theft of the items inside. Honda's tone deafness on this issue and the brain dead engineering behind it are baffling considering Honda's excellent record of high quality products. I suspect this is the fault of a third party supplier as this same feature/issue is found in cars from other manufacturers. I still blame Honda. From unprotected gas tanks to faulty ignition switches to shrapnel filled airbags I just can't wait for "driverless cars", what could go wrong?

Not sure what purpose it serves, but this"feature" is explained in the owners manual.

20

My 2012 Odyssey has been doing this for a couple months. Usually we get out of the car - don't even touch the key fob as we are getting out of the car - and the windows all start to open. It has nothing to do with the key FOB as I've tried changing it out, changing batteries, etc. Looked at fuses but nothing has fixed it. I believe it has to do with the driver side door system. Sometimes when we drive around the locks start clicking "unlock". Not an unlock issue - only unlock, which also activates the auto window feature. Hate to pay to fix a common problem!!! Ideas?

810

It happened to me today. I think the only reasonable thing is make Honda fix this problem (put an off option) or to start a class action.

115

Because when you lock the car and set the alarm and you depress the buttons for too long or too hard, the car alarm activates the window roll down feature, too....not sure why....but that is why...........mine did/does it, too, from time to time. I have learned how best to depress my key fob button to lock and activate alarm.....when I come back out to unlock and lay on the buttons too long, windows up and down and in between.........so you don't have a Ghost. lol

10

This has been a problem for me with my 2008 Honda Accord and my 2013 Nissan Maxima. I finally figured out the cause as well as a cost effective solution that will guarantee that the windows will never open by themselves again. The cause was due to my sitting on the keyfob in such a way as to accidentally activate the code to lower the windows. I have had soaked seats as well as a lot of snow on the seats due to this issue. The solution turned out to be quite simple and quick. First, I bought a leather key fob pouch through Amazon.com for about $5.00. Then I glued one of my pet's old aluminum rabies vaccination tag inside the leather cover so that the tag covers the buttons on the key fob. I used a hammer to beat the aluminum tag into a curved shape approximating the curve of the leather cover. I then used a leather/metal glue to affix the tag permanently to the inside of the leather cover. If you know how to sew leather you could stitch another piece of leather around the dog tag so that it can't possibly pull away from the leather key fob cover. I hope this helps any of you who have been at s loss to figure out a workable solution to this aggravating problem.

The only way that any windows would open by themselves, would be a massive fault or an ECU programme. I have read articles about this happening to Hondas and people have said they cannot find anything about it in their manual. With all the complaints about this, Honda should issue a statement advising customers about a solution. I have a 2013 Fiesta and i do not have this feature programmed into my ECU and if it was, i would want a combination to deactivate it.

20

The same happened to my 2015 HRV today (I thought someone broken all my windows at first, then thought it was a Ghost / incorrect door bell signal causing all my windows WIDE opened). Why this still not fix after 7 years!!! Please don't do this to me.

180

Ok, since Honda won't fix the problem (just got off the phone with customer service), I decided to fix it. I opened the key fob, took out the black "Unlock" button, put it back together and super-glued a small piece I cut from an old credit card over the spot where the "Unlock" button is. It won't happen to me again.

10

I have a 2006 Honda Accord Coupe and after 8 years, my windows are starting to go down on their own. So, it has nothing with the keyfob, because if it did, it would have been happening since 2006, but it just started in the past 6 months. I managed to keep it from happening to the passenger side window by keeping it locked. I have a button in the car that allows me to do that, but there is no button on the drivers side that allows me to lock that window, so that one still comes down at will. I have taken everything out of the car such as my GPS, but it is so inconvenient for me. I will take it to the dealer and tell them what the other person said about his taking his and they were able to fix it for under $300.00 and I think he said they told him it was a problem with the driver-side door locking system.

10

The windows including my sun roof all were open when I came out from an hour of shopping only to freak out thinking someone was pulling a prank on me to include thinking my son had driven by seeing my car and putting them down because he has a spare key. I told my husband what happened and he thought I was nuts. Well it happened again today. I went to the store and came home 20 minutes later locking my car and going into the house. After a few minutes, my husband told me I left the windows open. I told him, see I wasn't crazy as it happened again. So anyway, I found this blog and decided to try what many have said. The thing is you have to hit the unlock button once then hit it again and hold it and sure enough every window opened including the sun roof. No ghosts and no one to blame but myself. I will be careful next time. Would hate to see that happen when it is raining. Thanks for the help!

100

Had the same issue with a 12 coupe V6 EX-L model. Never held the key fob down as some state. However, when unlocking the car, sit down inside and close the door... W/o turning on the car, all the windows roll down including the moon roof. Same when I exit... Prior to pressing the key fob to lock, when I close the door all the windows roll down. Glendale Honda detected an unusual power surge but wanted to rip the car apart to find the root of the issue.

100

Traded this pile in for a different manufacturer vehicle last night. Honda isn't what it used to be.

10

Had the same problem. This site is very helpful. Very scary to leave this car parked anywhere. It's a 2012, has happened twice, also had a Nissan Altima that had the same problem. Thinking I may look at a Madza.

20

I have had this problem since i got my brand new honda odyssey this year. All the windows roll down including the moon roof and it only happnes when it is raining. I am scared to park it in the open because god knows how wet it will get. And no I do not even touch my key. It is in my purse and nothing is touching it. and it also happens when the keys are hanging on a nail. I have had it happen a couple of times, when i have shut down the engine and my daughter has got down and closed the door. I then get down and close the door by using the button on the handle and my windows will just roll down

50

Have 2014 Accord that this happened to, unfortunately when I locked the car and left out of town with friend. 3" rain filled the car that night and when I back 3 days later full of mildew. Car is essentially ruined. Never buy another Honda.

290

This is a serious problem. If it was something in my pocket (coins keys etc) messing with the FOB, then how come I never once had an the alarm blaring at me. Instead How come the window has rolled down on me 5-6 times. This thing almost cost me a lot of money this morning when it started raining and I was fortunate enough to catch it. I have seen this happening from the first week I bought this car. HONDA MUST FIX THIS...

40

I have had this exact problem with my 2013 Accord. I went into the grocery store in Omaha temperature about 20 and a light snow. No way I would have any windowns down. Returned to my car within 10 minutes to discover both windows down and the sunroof open. My local dealer blamed the key FOB being depressed. It was in my jacket in the grocery cart nothing touching it at all. Honda has a problem that needs a fix.

20

Honestly thought my daughter's car was haunted...feel so much better now!! My daughter just got a 2016 civic, 2 days ago. This am all windows were down when my husband left at 4:30am. Funny because we were all admiring it last night and swear the windows were up!

50

Just had this happen in my new 2016 Honda Pilot. So glad this thread existed so I could figure out what was happening!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-instantly-lower-your-car- windows-with-the-key-remote/

130

My 2013 Honda Accord just started doing this. My wife is Colorado Springs, CO and has both fobs. She is afraid of locking herself out of the car, as she has in the past. We live in Noblesville, IN and that is where the car is parked at this moment. There is no way that my wife could be pressing the unlock button twice and have the windows roll down. I just do not believe the signal strength would be strong enough to reach from Colorado. Penske Honda told me they would look at it in 2 wks.

160

We did determine that my husband was indeed the culprit. He carried his fob in his pocket, and somehow was causing the problem. He takes it out of his pocket when he comes in the house, and that did take care of it for us. Good luck with your problem, though. It would not reach all the way from Colorado.

40

I went out this morning to find all four windows and sunroof open, despite child window lock button depressed, on my three month old 2016 Honda Pilot Touring Edition. I googled the cause and found this answer. I tried tapping the unlock button on my key fob and sure enough, all four windows and sunroof opened. I cannot close them with the key fob. Luckily, it wasn't raining this morning, but I am concerned about it happening again. I'm going to contact the dealer. If I learn of a fix, I'll post it.

130

Its the car's CPU, not the fob. My wife had both of her fobs in Colorado, about 1200 miles away, and this happened. The dealer wanted $115 per hour to try and figure out why. I purchased a rebuilt ECU and placed it in the car. Problem repaired.

40

douglaslappe, is the part called a CPU or an ECU? I have to get mine fixed. This is a brand new car and should be covered under warranty. I just need to be sure of exactly what to tell them that needs replacing. Thank you so much!!!

10

Glad to see all the posts.I am sure that I closed all the windows when I came out of the Car Honda Accord EXL 2015.When I returned to the car in the morning I got shocked and I saw full of snow inside my car. I saw all the 4windows were opened 2inches and moonroof was opened slightly.After seeing all these posts tried doing the unlock button long press, all the four windows were opened.

2012 Pilot - Same thing happened today; first time in 2 years of ownership (4 windows 1/2 lowered, sunroof opened 4 inches). Have had this occur twice with my 2012 Accord LX in the past 4 years. So far not in the rain or snow, and nothing stolen. Always happens in my driveway. Thanks for all the posts so I know I ma not crazy.

20

We have a 2016 Honda Touring model manufactured 11/2016 (3 months old). Went out this morning and every window including sunroof was open. This is definitely a Honda problem

10

My 2006 Accord had this issue, it is not user error, mine got so bad, I could be driving down the highway, 70 mph, and my windows would roll down! It seemed to be humidity related in my instances, since it mainly occured during or very near rains. Which could definitely point to wiring or circuitry issues, I've since sold my Honda but wanted everyone to have my input Incase it helps with your future litigation to get Honda to help.

30

I bought a top of the line Acura RDX. It is 2017 and I have had it for a few months. I have this morning I went to my car and found all the windows and moon roof open. I do not use the fob to lock the door. Anyone want to pursue a class action suit let me know. I'm in. I no longer feel safe parking this car.

50

After this happened to me a few times, I got me a small jewelry box that I keep my fob in so it does not accidentally open my windows and sunroof. One time this happened and it rained that night and drenched the inside of my care. I used my shop vac to suck up as much water as possible and then placed a dehumidifier inside the car over night with the windows rolled up.

20

I left for work this morning and my new 2017 Honda Civic had all four windows down completely. I first thought I had been broken into and then I checked the tires and all were fine. I got in the vehicle and closed the windows one by one and proceeded on. It rained a little the night before. Scary. It must have been the key remote. Problem is I did nothing different. Not sure when this happens again. Went back out tonight at 11 pm making sure the windows were closed. I will ask my local Honda dealer to check this out on my first oil change in a few months if not sooner.

20

Stop using the fog and that would solve the problem, not very convenient but is the only solution, at least for me it worked. Honda sucks.

20

Have Honda Pilot 2009. Now in 2017 it just started opening windows and moonroof on its own. No, it is not the FOB because that is kept in key rack hanging. Nothing touching it. Please post how to file class action law suit so all can join having this issue.

20

I have the opposite issue to others on this forum. I have a 2013 Honda Accord and initially the second press of the opening button on the fob would open the windows and sun roof. But lately this feature has stopped working. Honda say it will take one hour to diagnose the issue and possible more time to fix it. Has anyone else had this issue? I find the feature useful in hot weather.

20

I have Honda Accord 2017 holding unlock button on second press will make your windows and sunroof open.

20

My Honda Accord 2013 also used to work the way Deekshith says his does. But now it has stopped. My question really should have been: has anyone experienced this issue and if so how was it fixed?

20

I've had my 2007 Honda Accord for about two years now. Never had an issue till the last two weeks. Once found the windows down and doors unlocked in my driveway one morning and once found it the same way in a parking lot after returning to it after about 10 hours. I worry about someone able to get into the car in my drive and use the overhead garage door buttons to get into my house. How do we get a class action lawsuit started asap! Please advise, I will join.

This is an old question but you can turn this feature off if you look in the manual, I'm almost positive if you put the key in the drivers side door and hold it one way it turn off this feature.

Twice I have found my 2013 Accord with windows down and sunroof open. Once about two years ago when a taxi dropped us off from the airport - all fobs inside the unoccupied house. Neighbor said he noticed everything open a couple of weeks before we came home and after a rainy day. Second time was yesterday. We went to a public event indoors, when a sudden microburst poured water like a monsoon. Overheard a recent arrivee say that someone's sunroof was open. Of course- mine ! My fob was 50 yards away from the car, and I hadn't touched it. One CAN stimulate this ill-designed feature from the fob, but that 'feature' has created a serious problem. And all the fairytales peddled about fobs being mysteriously pressed are hand-waving.

30

Just got done reading 90+ blogs about the windows/sunroof opening without our knowledge. This week my wife left work to find all 4 windows down and sunroof wide ass open...she freaked out...someone could have popped the trunk and grabbed her purse. Went to Bay Honda of Panama City and took them some time to figure it out. Sounds like a crappy feature that I would like to disable. The owners manual under windows or the key fob has NO info. Add me to the unhappy Honda owners group and class action law suit....BTW so happy it didn't rain that morning or I would have had a violent spouse to live with. HONDA...I hope your reading these post and we're not whining to ourselves.

Just purchased a new Honda CRV 2017 3 weeks old. Went in to eat came back to the CRV after a half hour to find all windows, moon roof and rear lift all wide open. Key fob was not used or pressed in any way.

20

I feel like I'm passing on a chain letter. I've had my 2017 Accord Hybrid for about a month and this has happened 3 or 4 times. I come out to my car after having parked a few hours before and all the windows and the moon roof are open. Here's the docs, maybe not for my car but it sounds like it applies: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/TL0404/TL0404O00100B.pdf Opening the Windows and Moonroof with the Remote Transmitter You can open all of the windows and the moonroof from outside with the remote transmitter. 1. Press the UNLOCK button once to unlock the driver’s door. 2. Press the UNLOCK button a second time, and hold it. The passenger’s doors unlock, and all four windows and moonroof start to open. To stop the windows and moonroof, release the button. 3. To open the windows and moonroof further, press the button again and hold it. If the windows and the moonroof stop before the desired position, repeat steps 1 and 2. You cannot close the windows or the moonroof with the remote transmitter

Twice my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring had the windows and roof window open by themselves. Once in Denver, my car was in my garage. Several months later, I was in Cedar Rapids at a hotel, all windows and roof window opened. Both times were at night, my fob in my pants, my pants on a chair. Both times there was a lightning/thunder storm. Can lightning or tunder cause this to happen? Honda 104th Av accuses me of holding the fob down to open the windows. That was not the case.

I have a 2013 Crosstour and love this feature. I have a black car not by choice so summertime it's fantastic. Accidentally discovered it. Was clicking the remote walking to the car and all windows and sunroof opened. Will have to check the lock button to see if they go back up. Would love that.

10

I purchased a Honda CRV 2017 in January. I have found my car twice now in the parking lot with the windows down all the way and thought my car had been broken into. Nothing taken and luckily it was not raining. It does scare me though to know it has already happened twice. I have been monitoring the internet to see if there was a sure answer. I read in one of the answers above that it needed a rebuilt ECU, whatever that is.

10

I believe the problem is, that the unlock button on your key fob is pressed down for several seconds it goes through this process to allow the interior to cool down as you are approaching. It is a good feature for what it is intended, but the problem is that it will activate in your pocket or purse if something gets against it for several seconds. My Accord was a 2013 and I no longer have it. With all the complaints, I can't believe that Honda hasn't addressed the issue. I'm sure some people have had their interiors soaked or worse.

150

Yes, the windows will open using the key fob or accidentally pressing it for a prolonged period if it is in a confined space such as a pocket. However, for some of us, the windows, sun roof, sliding doors, and liftgate were opening when the key fob was in a location such as a drawer with nothing pressing upon it or at a distance, such as a football field away, that none of this should have happened. Several of us have found fixes, including replacing the ECU (computer) or simply making sure that the one lock on the drivers side door is well lubricated. So, there are some things that seem to work. Still, hard to feel safe and secure, even with those fixes. The real point is that Honda has made no effort to solve the problem. My dealership insisted that Honda wouldn't even talk to me and the dealership didn't really want to solve the problem either. So my 2013 Honda Odyssey is gone. I won't deal with a company that can't be bothered with its customers.

10

I have a 2018 Ridgeline, two weeks old and this has happened to be 3 times already, every time while it’s raining. Really sucks

20

New Honda 2017 CRV. Happened to us twice. Got rain in new car... probably will make this issue worse. Hope our dogs will be safe. We will be hooking them in with seatbelt harnesses. Clearly this is not a feature...its a malfunction!

20

I walked back to my 2012 Accord this morning after grocery shopping to find all 4 windows rolled all the way down and my sunroof open. I know I did not hold down my unlock button and there is nothing in my purse that would hold it down continuously either. Honda needs to recall this crap!

10

It just happen to my 2017 Honda Civic hatchback twice. The first time I though it was me ,but it did happen a second time.I will be bringing it to the dealer after the holidays . Will post their answer later

10

Well, this just happened to me during a rare southern snow storm. I realized my windows were open with almost as much snow inside as outside. I changed key ring last night and must have hit the button without realizing it. Now I have a nice mess to deal with when this snow stops! Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

10

So glad I found this post. I thought for sure someone had hacked the computer system in my 2016 Accord Touring. Sure makes me wonder about these people who design these cars. They can install this feature that nobody seems to want. They make it so you can’t disable it, but they decide to remove the light from the glove compartment. Because nobody needs to be able to see in their glove compartment at night, right?

20

Same thing happened to me on morning of Christmas eve, I saw all windows of my Odyssey 2015 opened and I'm 100% sure it's all closed as I scrub the snow on all windows the previous day. I'm planning to report it to Honda as I thought it's an electronic malfunction. Then I saw this post and referred to my owner's manual to verify if this feature (opening all windows from fob) is available and voila there's an instruction how to open all windows from the fob: "Press the unlock button twice within 10 seconds and hold it down for the second time. If the windows stop midway, repeat the procedure.". Tried it and all windows opened.

210

The problem is that the windows are rolling down without using the fob feature. Like was said, you have to hold the fob down for it to work. My fob was on the dresser. Did the dresser grow hands to hold the fob down? Nope, don't think so! We want to know why is this happening. People cars has been damaged due to this feature.

20

I have a 2017 Honda Civic where the windows down and trunk open thing only happened once so far in 10 months. Once is still too much. I don't feel safe. Otherwise car is good. I have a 3 year lease with option to buy. I am waiting to see if this happens again and if so goodbye Honda.

20

I've had a 2012 Accord for about 6 months now. Today I went to the doctor and was inside the building for over an hour. When I came out, all 4 of my windows were completely rolled down. I KNOW I did not hit the buttons on the armrest to make all the windows roll down. So, my interior was soaked. The doctor's office loaned me a couple of towels that I dried the console, dashboard, etc off. I got back to work and used a shop vac but didn't seem effective. Right now I'm letting the car run with the heater on full blast to see if that will dry it out. I hope I don't have to get interior work or an expensive detail to prevent it getting musty or moldy. I did buy a 3rd party warranty for the car so maybe I'll visit the dealer and see what they say about it.

10

2017 Accord Sedan. Leaving for work today and all five windows were down. Yesterday It rained and thunderstorms were in the forecast although the car was not wet this morning. Read almost all of the comments above. A lot mentioned rain or thunderstorms and it makes me wonder if weather is factor. I don't think I accidentally pressed any buttons. Whatever the cause, this is a big problem for me. I've owned a lot of Hondas but this issue could end that.

same as most of u 2013 accord coupe high end. never had this problem until today of all days, during a rain storm. Came to car after work and found all windows and sun roof open and the inside completely wet. Had to go dry everything out for hours. Thank god i had leather... I know that this was a "feature" these key fobs have. But they should really have a setting for disabling this feature; just like that have the auto keyless entry setting to open just ur driver door and not all the doors. I mean we get to choose this feature. Why would u not have a setting to disable this is beyond me

20

hilarious. 2010 accord EX. Last night I came outside to find all four windows and the sunroof open and it was pouring rain. I thought it was a poltergeist. My friend researched this for me today and I’ve just spent the last 20 minutes killing myself laughing.

I just bought a 2015 Accord less than a week ago and have already been introduced to the problem. Went to bed last night while it was raining, car was locked and all windows up. Came out this morning and all the windows were halfway rolled down (still raining). I managed to wipe it all up and all in all it could have been worse, but now I'm sure all my coworkers find it amusing that I keep jumping up every 15 minutes to see if the windows are still up. Hopefully unlock got pushed while I was getting ready for bed and it's not the problem I see others reporting where it happens when it's on the key fob. I guess I better start keeping a tarp in the trunk and covering it every time I park anywhere. And I DID love me some Honda .. :(

I have no way to confirm or deny ALL of the people that report they did not press on the key fob but found their vehicle "open". I can however offer alternative possibilities. While pressing the unlock button on the key fob twice and holding it the second time is ONE (designed) way to open all windows and the moon-roof there is another (designed) way to do this. The other way is to use the actual key in the driver's door lock and turn to unlock twice within 10 seconds holding it the second time With this (key in the lock) option, let us AND Honda realize that this mechanism is exposed to the environment and could possibly be getting shorted out with lets say rain water (that could leak past door and/or window seals -the "control circuit" is in the driver door of at least my 2016 Civic) or even condensation at an interval that could cause the "control circuit" to activate and thus roll down all windows and open the moon-roof. Or it could have some other possible design flaw in the "control circuit" that allows activation of this "feature" when we do not want or need it to. I like the option but I can see it is not without issue. Heck, years ago my 1996 Prelude would randomly not operate the power windows and I found that problem to be with solder joints that had felled in the "control circuit" that was mounted inside of the driver's door that would get slammed shut and exposed to road vibrations daily. Things other than the key fob could be at play is my main thinking here.I found this while researching for my 2016 Civic and whether or not it was possible to remotely (key fob) close all windows and the moon-roof and thought I would put in my two cents worth. And by the way= not on North America models as they are equipped from the factory but it seems there is and add on circuit that could make this feature possible.

20

The more I've thought about it- I think the weather and hard rain triggered the windows rolling down. I don't think it was me pressing anything on the key fob multiple times or holding one of the buttons down too long. Next time I'm at the Honda dealer for an oil change I plan to ask them about this. If it's weather related, I hope there is some fix for it. Luckily I have a garage, so at least at home at night it wouldn't be an issue if the windows rolled down, so it's unlikely that it would exposed to 9 hours of rain all night, but it's still a problem if I go somewhere and I come back to my car after a couple of hours and find that the windows are down during a hard rain.

10

I've seen this in my 2017 CR-V; Windows part way down, sunroof popped open. What has been even more disturbing, and has happened a number of times, is that the back hatch opens. I've had a number of occasions where I'm met in the morning with a wide open hatch. I'm glad that others are seeing similar problems so at least I know I'm not nuts, but the comments lead me to believe that I'm going to end up dumping what is otherwise a great vehicle. The risk of being parked somewhere and having this happen is pretty concerning.

20

This windows down thing and trunk opening with my Civic 2017 had only happened once when it rained overnight moderately. There seems to be a connection with windows opening and rain. Nothing since and my Honda dealer reacted like they never heard of this problem. I am proceeding with caution if it happens again I'll search for another brand of vehicle. I did read some past comments that other car makers have had problems as well. Who to trust? I did have a Honda 2003 for 13 years without this problem. But i did not have electronic keys to open or lock doors back then. Must be the root cause.

Brand new 2018 Pilot Touring. Experienced this phenomenon twice the first day I had the vehicle. Dealership says I must have depressed the UNLOCK button on the fob accidentally. Perhaps, but from what I am reading online, there very likely could be other causes. And it was raining off and on yesterday with some thunder (but fortunately not when this happened.) Regardless of whether this is accidental "user error"with the key fob or a malfunction/defect with the vehicle -- it is unacceptable. It is absurd to have a design flaw in something as simple as a key fob that for over 10 years now has caused Honda (and apparently Acura and Nissan) owners to unknowingly open their windows and expose their vehicles to rain damage and theft. I have already notified the dealer that I need to return the vehicle first thing Monday morning. Unfortunately this appears to be a problem across all Honda models so I can't even consider another vehicle from them. Very disappointing.

10

I just bought a 2018 civic ex. My neighbor came over to tell me that my windows were down and it rained all night! The wierd hing was the sunroof was back partially and all 4 windows were each roled down exactly the same......1/3 of the way!! When i lastdrove it, it was raining......o i of coursevhad he windows up. Frustrating!

I have a 2014 Crosstours a great running car except the starter grinds 6 out of 10 times . The windows and sunroof open several times each times the same height and the front seat once it stops move to the same different position . Besides that the Crossover run exceptionally well. I wish they fix it but the same line we have to see it. The great but it does not happen all the time, I frustrated about this, some fun.

10

2017 Civic hatch in shop now for this. Happen 6 or 7 times Always in heavy rain. Dealer can't figure it out. Any lawsuits on this. Honda has a huge design flaw they aren't addressing. Major bug and big deal when windows open and not documented in owner manual.

Have a 2018 Crv... Problem remains. My fob hangs on a hook overnight. Sitting at the dealer right now and "we have never seen this problem!" car has 3000 miles and this has happened six times. I am thinking lemon law complaint.

Have a 2018 Honda Civic EX. One morning after a snowfall awoke to find the windows part way down - like 1/3 , enough to let some snow in on the seats and carpet and doors. Thankfully I was able to get the shop vac and clean it up before it melted. My wife would not admit to leaving the windows down or even having them down, "after all it is winter!" This morning April 14 after shopping we returned to the car in the parking lot to find all the windows down all the way! A Google search led me to your site and this situation that has been around for years. I tried pressing the unlock button twice and holding it and behold it works. But I have to go to the car and put key in ignition to close windows. Surely it is time for Honda to fix it. Perhaps legal action is required to get their butts in gear? Bill MacMullin

I recently purchased a 2018 Honda Civic EX. Had a neighbor knock on my door one morning to tell me my windows were all rolled down. Unfortunately it had been pouring rain for the last 8 hours. I went outside and they were all down 1/3 of the way. They were all down the exact same level. After reading this site, I think because I keep my keys in my pocket, I may have accidentally hit the "lock" button too long inadvertently. Kind of like butt dialing on the phone. Had lunch with my Honda salesperson last week and told her about it and she said that the unlock feature does occur by pressing the "unlock" button for a few seconds to assist in cooling the car down on a hot day remotely.

20

Honda is giving lots of bogus answers as to why the windows go down unexpectly. Someone needs to get a Politican involved especially during the next election. They are getting away with selling faulty product. The also are guilty of not giving full maintenance plans when serviced. When I asked to downgrade my expensive maintenance plan no phone calls returned from any Honda dealers. Suspicious behavior to say the least.

30

I have been following all the replies to why the Honda windows go down unexpectedly...and to say the least...I'm calling BULLSHIT on Honda. My wife's 2015 Accord did it while she was at work in a not great part of town. Thank god nothing of value was in the car or nor did it rain or get robbed. Honda...Hope you are reading all this hate mail. If I want my car to be cooled down...I'll open the doors and wait a minute or two....and I live in Florida. I don't like 3 inches of water in my car because you put a feature on the remote (thats not in the owners manual or even well known by salesman)...very bad design

30

I know this is not a solution to your problem but try this. Insert your key in the driver door and turn right to lock the car. Turn the key right again and hold it. It suppose to close all your windows at once. It works on 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring.

I have no answer but I can say that we have had the same problem with our 2016 Honda Civic. Really upset about. We live in a condo in a very nice neighborhood but that doesn't stop the thieves from stealing cars in here. Just three days ago that was the case. Thank God a neighbor has a surveillance camera and called the police. They were able to apprehend one of them and Thank God this didn't happen with our car that night. Our trunk sometimes opens by itself too. I think we should open and lock our car without using the fob and see what happens.