Gas smell in cabin/2016 Honda Accord

5

Asked by May 22, 2017 at 01:23 PM about the 2016 Honda Accord EX-L

I get an intermittent STRONG gas smell in the cabin of my car.  It has happened about 7 times since I bought it brand new in 1/16. There is no rhyme or reason to it.  I keep my gas cap tight. It can be in traffic, out in the country, with recirc on or off.  I can have a/c or heat on or off or w/windows open.  I brought it in to dealership, they had it up on the lift for 2 hours and said they can't duplicate it so they can't keep it or give me a rental.  I only have 11k on it b/c it's scary and dangerous!  I've been ready to jump out into traffic numerous times. Now, my right side passenger window won't open from the driver side controls.  I'm thinking I may have a lemon and told the guy I want to give it back.  I paid 28k for a car that may blow up!!  Anyone else have the gas problem?

20

I have the same problem. When I lean over the engine compartment, I can smell it on the passenger side of the engine right at the PCV valve area. The cabin air intake is in close proximity of that area. In my humble opinion, I believe it is a design flaw. The dealer gave me a run around as well.

5

Thank you so much for answering! At least I'm not alone, but sorry you have the same problem. Do you think it's dangerous? Is there a fix? Like you, I get the same smell when I open my hood as well. The Honda mechanics put their heads together and concluded that the smell is b/c I had my engine cleaned. I said I didn't have it cleaned with gas. I asked the manager if he'd let his wife drive in it and he said no! Are you keeping your car or selling it? I want to sell mine before it blows up and so glad I'm not a smoker.

We have the same problem. My husband has COPD and practically goes into a panic attack when it happens. We have a 2014 Honda Accord. Wish we had an answer to this. We will be checking with the dealer soon.

20

Hi, I have not looked at this thread for a while. I noticed that another person has similar problems. I have an appointment at the Honda dealer this week and I will see what they identify. I do not have much hope as this problem occurs randomly. The smell does exist in the engine bay all the time but it enters the cabin at random intervals. I researched the problem some more and one person had all injectors replaced and apparently it solved the problem....It is an expensive proposition and for that person it was done under warranty. As that person described the problem, it was related to the injectors and sealing O-rings. I have 50,000 km on my vehicle and close to the end of warranty. The smell is at times unbearable and nauseating.......it can be a health hazard. I am contemplating writing a letter to Honda Canada. Would anyone be interested to join in? The case might have more momentum this way. I would like to hear your thoughts.

10

We have the 2016 Honda CR-V and we have the same gas smell problem. We have had it at the dealer 4 times in 12 months - they changed a PVC pipe that Honda said was the issue but the gas smell remains. Honda said there is nothing they can do - we are stuck!

i had the same problem and called my local delearship, i told them to ask around and get info, they called me back and i took my car in, they replaced the pcv hose which took an hour under warranty. this releases comb. gases from the crankcase. i guess there was a techncial bulliten on it, but they dont have to report it to the owner unless it is mentioned. tell them this info, it should solve your problem.

10

Thank you for the response. We did have the dealership change the PVC hose (and it did take about an hour) but the gas smell problem was not fixed/did not go away. They had us bring the CR-V back in to be sure they did everything correctly, which they said they did (after having us wait for 2 hours while they looked at the vehicle). I called Honda directly per the dealer instruction and was told this should fix it, there is nothing new/updated to try and it is not a warranty issue. So we have the smell and have nowhere to turn and yet still have to make the monthly payment - the vehicle is only 22 months old and we have been dealing with the smell and the dealership for the past 14 months - we have had the vehicle in 5 times for this same problem.