Check Engine Light On / Trac Off Light On / Lost Power

30

Asked by Apr 05, 2016 at 08:12 PM about the 2016 Toyota Corolla S Premium

I have a 2016 Toyota Corolla (we have only had it 2 months) While driving it on the freeway (Saturday 4/02), car began to shake, it lost power and check engine light came on along with the Trac Off light. The car wouldn't go over 10-15 miles mph. We had the car towed to the closest Toyota dealership (Dublin CA) and was told on the 1st update Sunday 4/3: That the piston #4 was blown, the compression needed to be tested and the coils may be bad. 2nd update Monday 4/04: Waiting to hear back from Toyota to see what they want them to do with the car. 3rd update Tuesday 4/05: The car had a computer problem and will be ready to be picked up tomorrow. I don't understand how it went from a piston, compression, coil problem to just a computer issue. This is a brand new car that had only 12 miles on it. I am trying to wrap my head around that fact that the piston could be blown to begin with. Then at the end of the day, it’s a computer problem. Car only has 2,503 miles

285,475

Keep all your documentation, they might have made an honest mistake with the piston issue. Certainly does sound computer/sensor related. If the car has to go into the shop again for 3 times for the same issue, you can use the lemon law.

30

Tom, Thank you! I really want to believe that they made an honest mistake. When I spoke to the service center at the Toyota dealership, he said that he has never seen this happen on a brand new car before. He needed to hear from Toyota to see what he was to do with the car. I am not sure why they would need Toyota to follow up when it was at a Toyota dealership to begin with. Just makes me think about the reliability and safety of this car.

25,335

Warranty work is paid for by Toyota- they will pay the dealer for any repairs- you have an interesting case here- very unusual for a Toyota- keep us informed

40

This happed to me with a Honda, the dealership took the car back, tore the contract and sold me another one. That is how it should be handled.

30

Jamnblues- Yes, I assumed the same thing. So by them telling me that they need to hear back from Toyota raised a red flag for me. Mikoloe - I have asked if the contract could be voided or if we can just get a new car and start over. Their response was, let's see what Toyota comes back with. I'm not happy with this. We will be going back to where we purchased the car from tonight. Will post an update when it becomes available.

10

Same problem happened to me this weekend minus the loss of power and speed limit. I'm at the dealership getting it services now.

70

Need help figuring this one out as well I have a 14' Corolla S. it came on last night. I have never seen it before. I just changed rear breaks and then it turned off. Few hours later it came back on. I have 69k Mikes way past my 3year 36k warranty. Don't know what's going on here. Any advice would appreciate it. Thanks

70

Actually. Figured it out. It was the back light. If the bulbs are out or if there's an issue back there with the rear lights, the brake switch will fail and signal the check engine/trac off indicator. ((2014 Toyota Corolla s)). Hope this helps.

gene Tolbert my Toyota engine light an trac light is onand lose power 2913