just got 1973 beetle from my uncle, towed car from Fla tried to start when arrived home. Battery was dead tried jump starting and wihtout key in ignition vehicle turned over. What would case this ?

Asked by Aug 01, 2016 at 06:30 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback

I was just given a 1973 Beetle . I towed the car from Fla. The car had
started at my uncles house, loaded it on tow dolly and returned to
Charleston. The battery was dead tried jumping the beetle, when I
connected the jumper cables the beetle started to turn over on its own no
key in ignition. Anyone have thought on what may be a good place to start
to trouble shoot this issue ?

12,045

Examine all connections at the starter motor look for a wire without insulation or wires rubbing together.. also cycle the ignition key cylinder on and off make sure its smooth and you can feel the position detent these cars are so basic and easy to work on a good way togather an understanding of electrical circuitry.

9,315

key cylinder and starter sound like a good place to me to start as well. Obviously this thing has a short that is cranking the starter some where.

725

Ever watch. Kung fu the tv show.the one thing they had and have is patience.take the battery charge it for a full day.you do not know a great deal about this car.except hat it sat up.do your self a favor the car was given to you you dont ave a dime in it.spend a few dollars.new all under the hood akatune up.the car is fourty something years old.kiss it and make it feel better.because you also will feel better the car is worth some bucks. Craig