73 Beetle

Asked by Apr 19, 2016 at 06:31 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback

I have a 73 Super Beetle.  The passenger side door won't open.  The latch is
stuck and neither handle works.  The rod that connected the inside handle to
the latch came loose.  Is there a way to get the door open?

12,435

The old VW's have door handle and hinge hassles. The fast and mean, no playing is to remove the cover panel from the rear seat area under the window and cut / grind (use a die grinder) the rear latch bolts off this will allow the door to open... once open remove the door panel to service, replace, the internal mechanisms that control door handle functions. You will need to replace the two 8mm bolts along with backing plate retrieve them from a salvage yard.

9,605

sounds like a lot of work... i would just pull the panel off and put a pair of vice grips or a blunt end of a rod or screw driver and hammer it up it manually specially if it is rusted or stuck shut.. its a lot easier then grinding bits of your car off...