some times it starts ...some times it doesnt..

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 10:11 AM about the 1990 GMC Vandura G25

replaced dist......fuel pump and filter....idel control... wires...oil senser....fuel pump relay...
when it runs it runs perfect   ....shut it off it may start it may not.....also check for any bad
electrical connections........sure could use some new ideas......thanks for your time.....

John

465

G-day mate I would say it could be the starter, I had the same problem on my legacy, It would start up fine SOMETIMES run it for a while say to the shops, go to start it again and no dice. So i had to wait a while like a hour till it would start. When this happens again take out the starter turn the spline a few turns then reinstall it, it should start fine. What happens is the copper windings can age an burn out and when you go to use the starter one of the brushes could be sitting on one of thoughs burnt out windings causing the same problem. Hope this helps.