Trying to get my ghia started

Asked by Nov 20, 2016 at 06:24 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe

I cleaned out fuel lines, gas tank, and put in a new
fuel pump. When I connect everything and try to
start it, it won't get enough gas past the pump and
to the carburetor. I can blow and suck air through
the lines with ease but when I connect everything
to the gas tank I can't. When I disconnect the fuel
line from the gas tank fuel  drains. What do I need
to do next. It's a 68 ghia with a 73 super beetle
motor

4,125

Disconnect output hose from the pump and connect hose to it to see if it pumps gas into a container, if it does, you have a restriction on the line going to the carburetor. If it doesn't, you may have a pin hole on the suction between pump and fuel tank, causing it to suck air. If everything looks good, you have a bad pump, again.

Bad fuel pump, just before you start your engine do you hear something click or turn on underneath? If it most likely a bad fuel pump.

Irodri911. The pump is brand new. I disconnected the line between the gas tank and pump and ran a hose from a cup of gas to the fuel pump and it pumped gas to the carburetor. I can blow and suck air from the gas line from the motor to the tank but once I connect the gas tank the only way I can blow air through is with a compressor. I'm absolutley posotive the line is clear. If there was a pin hole would that cause this? Should I just replace the fuel line from front to back?

4,125

So if u disconnected fuel line by tank and can suck fuel from a cup, pump is good, there's something wrong with the hose inside tank, might have a pin hole or something not allowing to suck fuel. You need to inspect hose inside tank

When I disconnect the soft line from gas tank fuel drains out of the tank just fine. When I hook it back up to the hard line it won't flow. A pin hole would cause that? U think it would b a good idea to run a new gas line all the way to the back? Thank u for ur help

19,725

An electric pump has to be by the gas tank- they PUSH fuel, they will not PULL it- is that by any chance where it is located? or do you have it by the engine- hmmmmmmmm?

It's a mechanical fuel pump located by the engine

Ahhh a restriction in the line coming out of the pump to the carburetor would cause this? It hasn't been started in about 5 or 6 years.