92 GMC Conversion Van please help!!!

Asked by Mar 11, 2009 at 08:32 AM about the 1992 GMC Vandura G25

There is something causing the battery to drain.  After 48 hours the battery will be dead but it can be recharged enough to drive.  If I unhook the battery it seems to solve the issue because it will still have juice left to restart the vehicle.

Yesterday, while I was driving, the van just shut off.  I noticed that the power antenna was on the fritz and kept going up and down.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be?  

75

If you have an aftermarket stereo that runs a battery connection while the car is off to maintain memory settings, or if you have an alarm running...they can drain an older battery pretty easily. I have an older 78 and my cd player kept draining my batt. I just unhooked the memory power wire.

behind the battery on the firewall is a 2 studded box. check to see if the wires attached to 1 of the post have melted. My van was doing the same thing and I swapped the box out and no problems. You will have to get this from a junk yard as the OEM does not make these anymore. You should be able to get it off any vehicle as long as it is a GMC. Hope this helps you.

55

My van has been doing the same thing as with the electric antenna I just unhooked the wires, and as far as the drainage on the battery I think mine was discharging thru the alternator diode.....so far so good you can hook a meter between the battery hot side and the cable hot side and see what kind of drainage you are registering