My first car is gonna be a 2016 Mustang GT, I don't know to get Automatic or Manual?

Asked by Apr 09, 2016 at 08:56 PM about the 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Manual Or Automatic
First Car ( Never Driven Manual before )

5,435

it is a matter of preference...distracted by what gear you're in...you gotta get an automatic...sadly my wife made me buy an Automatic MINI cooper, so that she could drive it....only it's like stepping on a sponge when you press the gas...if a manual (like we should have bought) one could "rev it up and go"~ so Lazy...automatic...consider driving to be a bit of a novelty...Manual~

1,710

I love Manuel, the feel, the control, the choice, especially in a mustang. But guys are right, harder to sell, usually. Harder to learn unless you are committed and you can tear clutch up if your not a quick learner. Hassle in heavy traffic, but on open road or the feel of upshifting/downshifting I love. My wife can drive but she only likes it for awhile than novelty wears off. So ask yourself whether you really like the feel of control and driving no matter the hassle, or lose at resale and let that be your guide. Me, I like it! not like the "feel" of driving...I do!

47,465

Get what you want. An automatic won't be any harder to sell than a manual.

35

If you're going to straight line race, an automatic is preferred. For fun in mountain roads a manual is great. The reference to the Mini Cooper feeling like a sponge, well, it's not a 305+ hp Mustang, so that's not a far comparison. On resell, most knowledgeable folks will know a manual has been raced. I'm running a 2800 Stall Converter in a highly modified '06 GT. I've had multiple manuals in my life but the setup I'm running now is the best I've had. It's a keeper. Also, consider clutch changeouts on a manual eventually.

1,710

So OmqAJ!......after all this u gotta let us know wat u got! Lol!

695

The Automatic in the Mustang is an amazing creature. Plus, if you want to feel a little more in "control" you can always put her down in manual mode and use the paddle shifters.

12,385

I recall the first new Mustang I ordered lots of years ago! I suggest you drive Both the auto and manual trans. A dealer will be more than happy to let you, TRY driving the manual trans they Do want to sell a car...plus you will being paying for this a long time and it's lots of $$$ really important you don't regret getting the "wrong" transmission for YOU.

20

Driving a manual is a learned skill. Most people don't want to deal with it which is why a lot of new cars can't be ordered with manuals. It is definitely a personal choice. If you like to drink coffee and talk on the phone while driving, a manual is a problem. I know from personal experience. I just ordered a new 2017 GT Mustang. Drove both. The 6 speed manual is a whole different experience than the automatic. Same HP and suspension. I am a long time manual transmission driver. I ordered the manual knowing what I was getting. A friend told me to get the automatic since you can paddle shift it. Said there is a lot of other things going driving that car, why have to deal with shifting. Personal choice. Dying art.