2001 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 anti-theft issues possible

20

Asked by Jan 19, 2017 at 09:53 AM about the 2001 Ford Ranger 2 Dr Edge Extended Cab SB

I have been having some issues with my truck starting.  
Sometimes it will start right up and other times not even a
sound.  First I thought it was the starter because I had oil
leaks and the starter was covered in oil.  I fixed the oil leaks
and replaced the starter.  Drove it with no issues yesterday
and when I tried to start it today  nothing.  I did notice that
when I turned the key to start it the anti-theft light WA
blinking.  I know nothing about the anti-theft systems in
cars.  What should I check/change out?

71,685

Looks like they finally got around to disabling the private message feature. Anyhow, I'm actually more familiar with GMs system than Ford's. But I'll try to help you out. The three main parts of the system are the key, the anti-theft module, and the BCM (Body Control Module. The correct transponder key is recognized by the anti-theft module when you turn the ignition to the start position. The anti-theft module sends a "starter request" signal to the BCM. The BCM then energizes the starter to crank the engine. If you are using the same key as always it sounds like the anti-theft module is no longer recognizing the key. The anti-theft module is in the steering column. The only problem with this is if you replace it, you'll still have to get the new module programmed to the truck at your local Ford dealer. If you have a spare key you can try that. If you can start the truck with the other key the key is bad. With a Ford product you need TWO working keys to program additional keys to the vehicle. When I bought my '08 Grand Marquis in 2012 I only got 1 key. I have since gotten a spare, from my local Ford dealer but it won't start the engine. I can get into the car with it, but that's all because I only have one working key. So, unfortunately with these types of security systems even if you can diagnose the problem and repair it you'll still have to have the reprogramming done by the dealer. Others may suggest you can have a good locksmith do the programing but personally I would only trust the dealer for this. HTH. -Jim

75,545

Thank you Jim, and you have to go to a persons garage to send a private message. You can't do it from your own garage.

20

That is what makes it hard. A good example is today. When I went out to go to work the car would not make a noise and the anti-theft light was blinking when I turned the key to start. When I got home today I tried the key and it started right up. Do I need to see if there are any codes in the computer or will I have to wait until it is not working to try things?

71,685

You're welcome, Rowefast. Thank you for the PM info! Kstand, I believe you have to wait until it won't start. If your scan tool will communicate with the BCM then you should be able to get a code. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) may have a code stored so it wouldn't hurt to check. You're looking for a code with a "B" prefix. These are BCM codes. Just like engine/transmission trouble codes have a "P" prefix for PCM codes. Since this is intermittent it could very well be a bad electrical connection at the anti-theft module. The module will be at or near the ignition switch in the steering column, if it's set up like a GM. It's a little black box. HTH. -Jim

10

Your oil going to use it self but you having to fill it every day a your slave cylinder is bad or leaking ya , I say

10

You having problems with starting the truck check your relays or your gas pump is out or your clutch sen,is out, or going out, or your key relays switch is going out have a mechanic figure it out whats a figure coast 100$ +

10

Look starting with anti thief is the main problem re wire to a single element switch to a control were if you can have power to start your vehicle up thats all

10

You to send a message to how out of a garage man use the cell o man to send them a message it the text or email or call them you know that ,

10

Look you with the swapping motor to 98 to what ever you see it were it goes ok then , go get maybe your self a new a like motor mounts ok then the wire harn from your other follow it or get a book for it whats wrong with that know