Guys I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge. Sometimes it starts with no issues and sometime absolutely nothing. I will let it set and come back later and it will start like nothing happened. I had the battery checked and it is good. What other things should I check?

20

Asked by Jan 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM about the 2001 Ford Ranger 2 Dr Edge Extended Cab SB

I recently bought a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with the 3.0 V6.  I drove it doing
errands and stopped several places with no issues.  I happened to stop at a
parts store to pick up some supplies and when I came out and tried to start
the truck it would no even turn over.  Not one sound.  I went inside and had
the guy behind the counter check the battery and it was good.  Then he
asked me to try again and it cranked right up no problems.  What all possible
things could cause this.  This is my fishing truck and I do not want to get
stuck out in the middle of now where.  Thanks, Ken

87,095

Check the battery connections, make sure there clean and tight.

20

I checked the battery connection and there are no issues there. Out of 15 starts it has done this about 3 times. I do not even hear any clicking of the starter. Could the starter possible cause this?

87,095

No I think something else. Check the smaller wire running to the starter, follow it back from the starter solenoid to see if there is some sort of connection, splice, and check and clean the point. Otherwise I'm thinking the ignition switch.

120,095

Maybe the starter solenoid is going bad,

120,095

If corrosion gets into the smaller solenoid wire at the battery it can eat the wire up and you can't tell but it won't carry enough juice to activate the solenoid.

20

I will check the starter solenoid and wire tomorrow. It runs good when it runs but I do not wish to be stranded anywhere.

20

Just did a quick check to see where the starter was located. I can see what appers to be engine oil on it. That is not a good sign.

87,095

It could seep into the starter and starter solenoid where the connection are, yes that could cause a problem, may want to take the starter out and bring it to a rebuild shop, have them check the starter over, have a new solenoid put on, or buy a new starter. Need to investigate where the oil is coming from.

20

Went under one more time during half time. There appears to be some sort of funnel thing being used to try to keep oil from getting on the starter. Directly above it is the oil filter. Is there an issue with the oil filter leaking?

87,095

There might be the Oil Pressure Sending Unit down there, any wires around or sensors around the oil filter, it would be the OPSU. Those do leak.

20

I pulled off the cover for the bell housing and oil came out. It appeared to be about half full. It appears to be leaking from the rear main seal and the gasket for the oil pan is sticking out some in the back. The starter is soaked. I find it amazing that I had not one drop of oil on my driveway from the truck. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I have not replaced a rear main seal in 20+ years. I hope I don't come accross any more issues while repairing this one.

87,095

Good Luck.

20

I would like to thank you guys for the help. I will fix all the oil leak issues I find then replace the starter. Then I will be ready to throw my kayak in the back and go fishing!

20

The truck is no longer leaking and has a new starter. Drove it around last night with no issues. Got up to go to work and it is doing the same thing. I did notice when I turn the key to start the anti-theft system light is blinking. What all parts make up the anti-theft system and where are they located?

87,095

The anti-theft system is a bitch, controlled by the computer. Has this light ben on before, and it is blinking when you turn the key? There is a guy on this sight who knows anti-theft systems, I can remember his total handle but I can look it up so you can go to his garage and leave him a message. Otherwise I would say the ignition switch, but that damn anti-theft may be interfering. Another thing you could do is post another question about the anti-theft to get some other opinions. I'll be right back.

87,095

The guys handle is Js0816, his name is Jim. You can go to the top 10 rankings and click on him on the one to the left.

20

Thanks. I will try that. I hate to have to take it to the dealership. They are always expensive.

87,095

Js08016 finally answered your question on the anti-theft, it makes sense to me, hope it helps....Otherwise if you have an extra $35 you could try and ignition switch, like I said, the anti-theft is a bitch.

20

I will look into that. At the rate I am going all my electrical will be new.

87,095

LOL. good luck.

20

Checked the codes and none shown. I purchased the motorcraft ignition switch and will replace it this weeked. I has started no issues for 5 days now.

87,095

Thanks for keeping us posted...

same issue on 2001 Ranger. Needed a new fuel pump