82 280zx Turbo, one momnet ready to race, other moments choks w Turbo kicks

10

Asked by Nov 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM about the 1982 Datsun 280Z Turbo

its hit and miss, car runs smooth if accelerated slowly.  if I push it, then its hit and miss.  sometimes u feel when turbo kicks in it backs down as if its shutting down.  other times, no prob, turbo kicks in and its ripping the streets. the other day I drove it for a mile, smooth acceleration, then bad perf if turbo kicked in.  unplugged the throttle sensor, immediately car is ready for race.  few hrs later, back to same issue..very inconsistent

40,505

I wonder if your catalytic converter is getting plugged up or if your turbo bearings are on the way out. Have you tried a tune up? I used to own a 83 Turbo and the shop I went to had a Japanese factory tech tell them - "turbo weird" but I never had a problem like yours.

10

appreciate the reply, the shop could not get much reading from Computer, looks like it requires older equip to do that, but they did a lot of manual voltage chks and determined few faulty parts. we also did plugs, fuel inject cleanup "off the can", fuel filter, air filter. is there a way to bypass certain parts just help rule out? one good mechanic friends belives its a fuel pump issue. if I remember, he pinched line going to regulator and notice higher pressure in line

40,505

Closing off the fuel return line would make the fuel pressure go up but that would be normal. The reason I suspect the exhaust is turbos are sensitive to back pressure. If they can't breath, they can't wind up. Have you checked the waste gate to make sure it is not sticking open?

10

i informed the shop about ur hint re the waste gate. they are very honest folks w some good knowledge. it sucks im in NY and car in MN. wish there is a way to bypass turbo. i wish i could find someone who can read the car computer. it requires some old equipment to do that. tnx again bro

10

still no feed back from shop. my previous trusted mechanic "move away" confirmed that waste gate tested fine. He believes that when fuel pump was tested under heavy load it didn't deliver desired pressure. therefore fuel lines not being compensated as they should resulting in turbo acting up..what do u think?

40,505

If you are not getting enough fuel that could explain the problem.

10

NO GO...they claim that they put a heavy load on pump and it did good. Waste gate is ok. whats interesting is when they put car in DIAG mode, car runs perfect. its only when they exit DIAG and sensors are all back in action is when it miss behaves. they are unable to read the computer for someodd reason to determine the faulty sensor. but for God sakes, how many things could possible go wrong?

40,505

All I can say is good luck.

10

tnx a a lot for trying...tc now