How to fix/ electrical

30

Asked by Jan 12, 2016 at 07:49 PM about the 2003 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe Convertible

Hello my name is John and I am working on a 2003 Ford Thunderbird I looked at one of your
forums and it was somewhat similar but this one blows me away I am a very able mechanic the
customer was driving the vehicle it was cold out that day very cold he had mentioned in the 30s
and turn the vehicle off went into the store came out and vehicle turns over does not start so
the customer ends up taking it to a Ford dealership for diagnosis this is a customer I do work
for a lot, the Ford dealership diagnosis the problem with it being the fuel pump, with that being
said that's what was replaced, it gets better though so after doing in R&R and putting a brand
new fuel filter in turn the key off and on first initial turn of the key hear a click no humm,
vehicles turning over at a very fast rate does not even try to start after about 5 minutes of trying
to prime and turnover I go grab my new snap on onboard computer well it tells me absolutely
nothing because its not linking up with the computer ok I'm thinking to myself maybe it's just
ignorance of my own cuz I haven't learn to use the computer well enough simplified went and
grabbed my obd2 it also will not link with the computer now at this point I'm really thinking
fuses or relays more so I checked the fuse box underneath the hood of the vehicle in the engine
compartment check dialed check easy obd2 relays fuses do you name it I've checked it I'm
doing this with a test light and also a multimeter did the central fuse panel whiskey on making
sure everything has power everything is fine except for number 1 and number 2 which have
nothing to do with it whatsoever there is the remote car start and remote coil or something to
that effect ok then I go to the trunk I check every fuse everything's okay granite this panel has 7
or 8 relays and one of the fuses which is a 40 amp is for the central fuse box passenger side
kick panel which I checked and every fuse has power except for one and two during this whole
time plugging obd2 in and out still not linking with the computer still not getting fuel pressure or
getting a the one next to it pump to come on I check the emergency shut off for the fuel drivers
side kick panel tried resetting it again no luck so with that being said I'm back to the relays and
since a lot of relays are similar borrow one out of insignificant spot and put it in the PCMs place
the only thing I have not done is check the wires to the fuel pump to see if they're getting juice,
that still would not explain the scanner not linking up with the computer so there you have it in a
nutshell

66,115

The one thing that stands out in your description is that the engine cranks over very fast. That sounds like no compression due to a jumped timing chain. Try spraying some starting fluid down the throttle body. If it'll run for a few seconds on the starting fluid it's a fuel problem. If not, check for spark. If you have spark, run a compression test. If all cylinders test low or zero it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

6,465

No communication with the pcm is either power to the ob2 connector, shorted sensor on the signal return ckt (dpfe, maf tps o2s ftp are common) pcm diode, pcm relay, ground, pcm. If the cel does not prove out the pcm isn't powering up to make anything else work.

Best Answer
30

Well the one thing I did do was chech very micro fuse & the 30-50 's the large fuses I actually pulled and checked cont.checked diodes and in the engine compartment I took the two relays and switch places with him just to see if that was going to work and then I put him back of course it didn't work so with that being said I stopped at that point I've got a lot more relays I need to check I was going to check the fuel pump itself to see if it was getting power but I didn't because at the time I wasn't sure exactly why I had a schematic but it went directly to the PCM so I'm not going there its not getting power otherwise I would hear the thing running and for shits and giggles when I got home I put 12 volts to the old fuel pump and Zoom Zoom Zoom it didn't sound the greatest but it worked fine. I also think that I need to find out what why the obd2 of the PCM is not getting juice

30

Well the one thing I did do was chech very micro fuse & the 30-50 's the large fuses I actually pulled and checked cont.checked diodes and in the engine compartment I took the two relays and switch places with him just to see if that was going to work and then I put him back of course it didn't work so with that being said I stopped at that point I've got a lot more relays I need to check I was going to check the fuel pump itself to see if it was getting power but I didn't because at the time I wasn't sure exactly why I had a schematic but it went directly to the PCM so I'm not going there its not getting power otherwise I would hear the thing running and for shits and giggles when I got home I put 12 volts to the old fuel pump and Zoom Zoom Zoom it didn't sound the greatest but it worked fine. I also think that I need to find out what why the obd2 of the PCM is not getting pow

30

Now my phones on the fritz I think I'm not going to touch anything electrical right now front views box underneath the hood of the car we're the motor is has been eliminated as a problem and or holding the relay that I need to find or diode now it's to the central which is drivers side kick panel or the rear of the vehicle in the trunk keeping the fingers crossed

66,115

Thanks for the update! Glad your making progress! Please keep us posted. -Jim