I have a v6 mustang what can i do so i can get more HP or did u think that would be better to get a v8

10

Asked by Apr 25, 2013 at 02:54 AM about the 2001 Ford Mustang Base

217,475

You can do some mods, like exhaust and a super charger, but if you are looking to go fast cheap, then a V8 is what you want.

10

what is better short or long headers? if i sell my car it has rebuilt tittle how much did u think they give me?

375

What year? I had a v6 I put an exhaust and intake on it. Gave me probably 30-40 horsepower. The biggest change would be to change your rear end gears.Big. difference I heard.I never got to do it to mine because I totaled it and got a cobra. I wouldn't put a supercharger on the v6. For that price I would just swop engines to v8

75

you would have to change alot more then the engine your best bet is to sell it and get in mustang with a v8. your looking at engine, trans, computers mountes and brakes it is not worth it. i have been there and done it you usally end up like 3g behind.

375

Oh yeah 2 more important facts. A v8 will eat up more gas and your insurance will go up. It all depends on how fast you want.Do you want off the line or top speed.some things to consider. My old 2002 v6 would keep up with stock gts. They had more torque but I was hanging with them. Now its a different story, I have my cobra ( which is for sale pretty cheap)low miles ,everything from complete air cond. Heater core,radiator,brakes,tires,a lot of money I put in. Inside is perfect,custom hood,lowered,rims.and selling it cheap.need to get a suv my little girl is getting older and I need more room for her.

305

If getting a V8 or engine swap is out of the question due to cost, I'd say adding exhaust components (cold air intake, throttle body, shorty headers which are 50 state street legal as opposed to full-length, and full dual exhaust) is a good start for low cost. Also, rear end gears and underdrive pulleys are cheap mods that make a good impact on v6 power.

30

I already got a cold air intake and flow master exhaust what should i need?

60

My v6 does 12.60 in the 1/4 mile pro charger 475 hp you can make it go faster mines mild and stock car its nice to beat a v8 and it sounds close to a v8 becuz of what i did my exhuast.

@Cary. Did you have your V6 put on a dyno? Just curious as to what HP I'm making. '07 V6, Xcharger Xtreme supercharger which includes the CAI and intercooler, Kooks long tube headers, Borla dual exhaust, BAMA tuned running 93 octane, 3.73 gears, racing flywheel and driveshaft, stage 2 clutch. Only thing missing that won't be for long is the LSD.

60

No i have not did a dyno yet but more is being added on every wk

60

How did your gas milage change doing the 373 gear? Stock i got 31.5 mpg super charged about the same as long as you keep your foot out of it

40

I have a v6 with mods my next mod is hellions twin turbo. V6 mustangs are great cars even for performance. V8 stands are nice to but i am happy with what i have. When people start installing mods its endless with any carmaker i have been hated on for moddng a v6 i saw a youtube clip of a gtr and a v6 mustang with mods running and the mustang won back to back. So when people tell me i should buy a gt for more performance i tell them why settle there why dont you get a saleen.roush.boss.gt500 or a rocket maybe even a equus bass stang. Trust me the v6 has so much potential and long tube headers over short are better and upgrading gear ratios on any car weather auto or manual will make a big difference depending if your racing dragging or street driving.

how should I upgrade gear ratios?

40,955

The most cost effective mod will be to sell the car and buy a V8. $5,000 in V6 mods won't be able to touch a V8!

40

Honestly if you want a v6 and mod it well there is a lot of mods and v6 stangs that beat v8 after modifications v8 are nice to have but as soon as you modify a v8 then you can ask yourself o why didn't i buy a boss or a SALEEN or roush even a gt500 its a never ending process so if you really want mod a v6 or v8 then get what ever you want and mod it.

I think just getting a v8 be better it is cheaper my friend swapped a 98 v8 cobra engine into a 01 v6 mustang and it goes but he paid a lot I was gonna do the same but id rather buy a v8

An intercooled Procharger runs about $5000 if you diy. But it will outrun 90% of the stock, mild factory V8 Mustangs.

10

Would a 44mm turbo fit on my stock v6 2004 mustang? I have a cold air intake that is all I have on my car.