93 Suburban wont start, acting like battery is dead

Asked by Apr 26, 2015 at 06:32 AM about the 1993 GMC Suburban K1500 4WD

just replaced both oil coolant lines after I had one come off and spray oil everywhere. I had it towed home, replaced the lines, and when I went to start it it turned over very slowly like the battery was dead. tried it again and it did the same thing. went to auto zone to get the battery checked and its a perfectly fine battery. I checked and cleaned all connections on the battery and tried to start it again. now it just makes a loud clicking sound. what would cause it to turn over so slowly at first then not at all with a perfectly fine battery? im hoping its not a seized engine because it sounds like as soon as the starter hits the flywheel it just cant turn anymore. any input is greatly appreciated

94,905

Try turning the engine over by hand, get socket that fits the bolt in the damper on the front of the engine and break over bar and see if it turns with that, if it turns then it is not seized, if you can't turn it that way cause it acts seized, then try taking out all of the spark plugs, then see if you can turn it, if now turns then it was hydro locked, possibly oil got into the intake and drained down while it was sitting getting repaired. You can clear this out by disabling the ignition coil and then see if the starter will now turn the engine over, crank it over at least 3 seconds to clear the hydro lock, check the plugs and if they look good put them back if they don't now would be a good time to replace them, clean up the excess oil and reconnect the coil and see if it fires up, just make sure you are out in the open cause it will smoke until it get is all the oil cleared out of the system. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
30

If water is in the top of the engine "hydro locked" dont turn the engine until you remove the water, refill with purple oil, and allow it to sit for a couple days. You could mess your head gaskets up by turnng the engine too soon. Remove the oil, turn the engine, replace the plugs, and re attach the plug wires. If it was hydro locked it will start right up. You could of also damaged the vent solenoid valve.