MY 69 Camaro Just turns off!

25

Asked by Oct 25, 2015 at 11:52 PM about the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe

My car just shuts off! No warning. But only at a low idle.. no warning just
shuts off like somebody turn off the key. Ill be siiting at a stop sign, getting
ready to go and Bam!! shuts off, pulling in the garage making sure im in
the right spot... Every time.. it just turns off. Never when Im driving it.. just
whens its barely rolling. slow idle. Need to figure this out! Its making me
nuts. Sound like a slight miss at idle also.. My tach has a slight jump to
watch it. Its not a steady miss... but its constant

61,305

The idle speed should be 650 RPMs in drive or, if stick shift, 900 RPMs in neutral. HTH. -Jim

25

Thats exactly where it is.. and when in Drive just sitting or barely moving.. it just shuts down.. no warning

51,945

Any mods done to the motor? Like a HEI distributor instead of points?

25

So I have a Mallory unu ilte electronic ignition in it.. Its and old one..over 25 years. I have had the car a long time.. I just bought but have not installed yet a MSD billet ignition, coil and wires because I was thinking the Mallory has done its time, but again its weird.. I had a new Edelbrook carb on it thinking it could be the problem so I just switched to a holley and it runs better but still just turns off at a low idle.

51,945

Ok then, I'm thinking one of two things, one being fuel pressure at low idle not enough pressure assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump that should be putting out 5 to 7lbs. The other being the electrical thing, it is always nice to upgrade.

51,945

Ho ya, very nice car!

25

so the fuel pressure has been a question for me.. If the distributor doesnt solve it.. I will put a pressure gauge and check that. And yes. need to upgrade that anyway... that pressure thing has been my second thought.. and yes its mechanical.. but I thought maybe the pressure was high.. i can install a pressure gauge.. i already bought it with that thought.

25

is there a way to change the pressure... Is that a dumb question..lol

51,945

No need to put a regulator in as the Holly & Edelbrook can handle 8 or 9LBS but ultimate is 7lbs. Mechanical fuel pumps put out up to 7lbs. for carbonated motors. Low fuel pressure may be the problem at idle.

25

but what causes the low fuel pressure? The reason Im asking that is the pressure seemed high at one point.. really high at one point.. I was changing the fuel filter and low and behold the gas kept coming and it was not a drip.. like it was pumping to the carb... What a mess that was.. I would take the gas gap off and I could barely turn the cap and yes its a vented cap and it would almost blow my head off.. Weird thing is it did the same thing at that point as it does now.. Its no longer doing that. Seems normal now but it does sound like a miss to me.. but fuel delivery can sound like that also... so I dont know.. But Thursday will be half the answer if the new MSD systems cures it... The car runs amazing... but just when I think its all handled. Sitting in traffic.. BAM.. shuts off.. no warning , no sputter.. no nothing.. And then starts right back up like it never happened.

25

I was not going to put a regulator in just a gauge to monitor it.. Its a process. I have owned her for a life time.. Long story short.. Last 23 years I ripped it apart, life happens, JOBS.. stuff like that.. It sat 20 years. Till I pulled her out 4 years ago and said lets do this.. I did this full restore on her, but she is definitely having her issues getting all the little kinks out and back on the road full time.

51,945

I have some other ideas but just for a piece of mind on the fuel question, where is the fuel filter that you changed... before or after the fuel pump? And just check the fuel pressure in the line going up to the carb. Something does not sound right with you having so much pressure when you remove the gas cap. It is pressure coming out right? That would explain the gas coming out like you described, assuming the filter is up by or in the carb. when you took the line off. Gas tanks need to be vented and not by the gas cap. There should be another line coming out of the gas tank, that runs to some sort of canister. Is there two lines from the gas tank? The one being the main fuel supply, Just to get that sorted out. Next would be electrical, the way it sounds when it shuts down on you...then able to start right back up...How is the ignition key cylinder... is it sloppy, worn, a lot of weight on the key ring? Just wondering if that is working its way while driving to kill the engine. And have you ever looked at the ignition switch? I'll be here this evening. Just love that car! Nice...

25

Yes its gorgeous... Its actually white with silver pearl and metallic blue strips... So Yes the filter is between the pump and the carb. I do not believe my car has a second vent source at the tank.. But I will have to get under there and see if it does.. i dont think so though,, and the steering column was replace, I want tilt wheel but it is rebuilt. No heavy keys no wiggle. Everything is like new or is new. Only turns off at low low idle, not coming to a stop but at a stop and not everytime

51,945

How about the neutral safety switch? That may be out of adjustment? Just looking at other causes other that the distributor and ignition since you will be putting that in new. But please tell me you will check the fuel pressure, piece of mind since you will be working on it. I am going to check on some other ideas to verify first, keep sending the info on the questions, When did this all start? Any relationship to something you worked on?

25

Oh.. I worked on everything.. Hopefully my mechanical skills are in check...lol But the motor sounds good!, but it has a fluctuation in it so it has to be either vacuum or ignition and hopefully because i wanted to upgrade anyways, this will work, but who knows if the two items are related.. Ill find out this week.

25

ok Everyone.. Thank you for all your advise. So the update is.. My new MSD system did the trick.. Took care of the problems That my car was having.. It now idles great, and no stalling or cutting out. It was a couple things but all fixed with the change over..

25

BUT!!!!! I have one more issue.. well two.. My right brake light and right blinker is not working!!! are dont anybody ask if I checked the bulb! lol

25

second issue is my car is not completely level in the back.. A common issue on these cars. Its about a 1/2 inch.. Is there anyway to shim or add a rubber spacer somewhere to even it out? As a young girl I had air shocks and thats how I made it perfect.. But apparently they are not as cool as they use to be 30 years ago so I upgraded and its now un- level..so not perfect.. I dont like it.. any suggestions???

51,945

Hey, thanks for the update...