what would cause a 1993 jimmy w4.6 4wd to make a metal grinding sound underneath the driver floor panel?

5

Asked by May 13, 2014 at 07:28 AM about the 1993 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

everytime i turn right it sounds like metal clickin or hittin then stops when im drivin straight or turning left.

125

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. Might want to check your U- joints as well. If you can move the U-joint shaft around more than a 1/2 of an inch, it's time for new ones. My Jeep was doing the exact same thing and I jacked it up, looked underneath at the U-joints and wheel bearing, and both were shot. I'm not sure if the Jimmy's came with straight axles in the front or if they came with half-shafts in the front for the four-wheel drive. I went to Autozone for new ones, and they weren't too bad, price-wise. I think I picked mine up for around $170 for both sides wheel bearing and U-joints. I'm not sure how much it would be for a shop to replace them, but I'll give you fair warning that most shops will mark up the replacement part by almost up to 60% of the original price. Hopefully this helps.

Best Answer
18,525

cv axle?

125

Why would the CV Axle cause clicking? That wouldn't make any sense....?

5

so is that u joint the long piece goin from front to back that rotates?

5

looks like a long cylynder....... and my buddy said the wheel bearing too.....no one mentined the u joints....good idea for real

125

The U-joint is the little X looking piece that is connected to the half-shaft for the four wheel drive unit. I attached a picture of what one would look like. If you take the half-shaft and can move it around freely, your U- joints are bad. To determine if your wheel bearings are bad, go to the side where the clicking sound is coming from and see if you can shake the tire from side to side, pulling and pushing on the top of the tire. Do not jack up your vehicle to do this. It will move a little bit if it's fine, but if it seems excessive, check the other side and compare.

18,525

Popping or clicking noises when turning. This almost always indicates a worn or damaged outer CV joint.