Car is over heating after replacing a cracked hose

10

Asked by Jan 20, 2015 at 10:30 PM about the 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon

Recently my 01 Ford Focus has been over heating. I replaced a cracked hose which
was draining all of the coolant out and it seemed to work fine after that. I drove it for an
hour and a half without problems. The next day it began over heating again but this
time none of the coolant was draining out. Before and after the cracked hose issue the
car would not push out heat unless the engine was revving. What might the issue be/
what can I do to find out?

18,505

You may have air trapped in the system, it needs to be 'burped' out or bled. Try to find a good incline to park the car on, with the radiator higher than the engine, let the engine cool down. Fill the overflow bottle to the 'cold' line. Remove the radiator cap and insert a large spill-free funnel filled halfway with coolant. Run the car, air bubbles should be working their way out. Keep an eye on the overflow bottle, don't let it get low. This process might take several cycles before all the air is out of the system. (don't worry if you don't have an incline to park on, it helps shorten the process but isn't vital). The reason you didn't get any heat from the heater core unless you were revving the engine is likely due to low coolant levels and/or trapped air.

755

Usually when you refill the radiator you may have air in the cooling system. Try parking the car with the front up hill, edge of the drive works. As long as the car has not reached operating temp, open radiator cap, then start car. turn heater control to hot, you can leave fan off, allow engine to reach normal operating temp., check if the radiator "burps air" , then keep adding a 50% mix of antifreeze and distilled water till radiator full and the radiator stops burping, close radiator cap, also check overflow reservoir and add coolant mix to full cold line. This hopefully will solve both the overheating issue, and the lack of heat issue. Good luck.

755

LOL, I didn't see Ken's answer until too late, well at least you have two opinions now. just remember the radiator coolant will reach at least 160 degrees during this process, so wear eye protection and be careful.!!!

10

Both were helpful! But I did this when I refilled the coolant after replacing the hose. I can try again and see if there is still some air trapped if that is plausible, but what else can/should I try? Besides checking the fan and thermostat?

18,505

The cracked hose might not have been the only problem your cooling system had - the problem may also be a bad water pump, restricted flow in radiator core, you might have a constriction in the heater core itself. a cooling system flush may be in order.

225

Thermostat needs changing .

755

Like Ken said, check the radiator, look for white stuff (mineral deposits) that may be restricting flow in radiator. If you have deposits, you will need a cooling system flush. Also if you decide to check the thermostat, you might as well replace it. (not worth the effort to check, small $$ item, cheap insurance against overheating.) Do you have an electric fan or is it belt driven? If Belt driven be sure that belt is tight, and not glazed (shiny on pulley side), or cracked. If it is replace it. If fan is electric, then make sure it comes on occasionally when engine is hot. If it doesn't, then something in the fan circuit is bad (fan motor, relay, wiring, fuse, or even a coolant temp sensor). If you have a check engine light code, you can have it read at auto zone for free. This may point you in right direction. Good luck, let us know what you find out.