2001 focus will go into drive but will not goin reverse

ranlov3
20

Asked by Feb 01, 2013 at 07:40 AM about the 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon

ranlov, that is a difficult question to answer without seeing the car. Let's begin with how many miles are on it?

ranlov3
20

186000 miles

Thanks for getting back ..sometimes people ask questions and never do. So, anyway, with that many miles it sounds like it's time for a rebuilt or low mileage used transmission. Sorry my friend, I wish I had better news. But before you allow a tranny shop to sell you one, see if you can make sure it's not just the mechanical linkage not putting it in reverse, that is a possibility. It's like those AAMCO ads that say "Half the people that come in don't need a new transmission"...why don't they say 'Half the people that come in we stick it to them for a new transmission"

ranlov3
20

I was talk to somebody else and they said it mit be the filter since it jerks to the left hard when it shifts gears?

Whoa, jerking to one side or the other is another thing alltogether, check your tie rods and ball joints, or rack and pinion, a transmission filter will not cause that

That car might have torsion bars, don't know for sure, but get under there and look and see whatever you can, the holder for a torsion bar can come off

87,205

A twelve year old car with a bad transmission.... The transmission is part of the trans- axle and jerking to one side may be a differential problem. It might be time to stop fixing the Focus and get a newer car.

I'm with Dave, and the Focus is fun to build, but is this car a manual or automatic? it's not a filter that you can believe as all it does is what it says. Depending on that, their are a couple of ways to find out what's going on. The torsion bars? Kind of questionable but maybe, but I do know for a fact that at one time in 08 or 09 maybe even sooner and I can't remember off the top, Ford had a problem and a recall with springs breaking, now keep in mind there a many components of a suspension system and that believe it or not this why I am asking manual or auto as a gear shift is not radical in in itself in an auto but might be in a manual, depends on the driver. Well that's a lot different than a transmission and far more dangerous to you and your family. Reverse is not dangerous as your just not going anywhere fast, going forward now and then this sudden jerking is the most serious problem you have frankly and could like Dave mentioned be a very deadly problem. It could be anything like sway bar end link broke, control arm, ball joint, struts, springs and anyone of a lot of things but most certainly the most dangerous thing you have at the moment. And please if you want to seriously fix this issue then you have to answer questions also, so let me know whether it's a manual or auto and I'll tell you how to investigate the problem. But if I were you, I'd forget about that transmission at the moment and figure out what's with this jerking your talking about, (most sincerely). And especially if you are driving your family around, if it's just you well OK, just kidding. I have a race autocross car and I have fairly good insight into the car and it's innate problems and especially they are notorious for suspension problems. I am going to double post here with a NHTSA post. I looked through my cluster of stuff and did find mention on some of the types of problems. But remember you need to respond with some answers to questions or this is a waste of time.

12 Complaint Number: 10060966 Incident Date: February 27, 2004 Date Added to File: February 27, 2004 Description of the Complaint: While consumer's husband was driving on the freeway and attempting to get over into the next lane, as he accelerated and tried to go over, vehicle suddenly dropped in the front, causing him to lose the ability to steer and hit a retainer wall, flipping over, landing, and facing oncoming traffic. Consumer's husband did not sustain any injury because air bags deployed. Details Discuss This Consumer Complaint at Forum 13 Complaint Number: 10037022 Incident Date: August 27, 2003 Date Added to File: September 2, 2003 Description of the Complaint: 3 major complaints for 2001 ford focus zts 1.) front suspension needs a right arm replacement 2.) engine light turned on and was turned off when brought to ford dealer shop. 3.) on a separate occasion, car stalled while driving. Details Discuss This Consumer Complaint at Forum 14 Complaint Number: 10019948 Incident Date: n/a Date Added to File: May 15, 2003 Description of the Complaint: The front suspension on the passenger side collasped. This caused the driver to loose control of the vehicle and hit a park car. Details Discuss This Consumer Complaint at Forum 15 Complaint Number: 10007748 Incident Date: January 1, 2003 Date Added to File: February 18, 2003 Description of the Complaint: Ford focus 2001. Purchased in august of 2001. Has always had problems with suspention. Has been in shop 6 times to be fixed for the same problem. The problem has been fixed several times but the noise keep on comming back. The car has numbers of other problems. The breaks make noise, the windshiels leaks when it rains, and when I drive on the highway the engine stalls sometimes while driving at high speeds. Details Discuss This Consumer Complaint at Forum 16 Complaint Number: 764539 Incident Date: July 14, 2002 Date Added to File: July 24, 2002 Description of the Complaint: Traveling on I-465 eastbound in indianapolis at approx. 60 mph. The car made a grinding sound and then the driver (my son) lost control and crossed two lanes of traffic and hit a retaining wall on the left-hand side of the road. There was one passenger with him at the time and he was following us home. We were about 100 yards in front of him at the time of the accident. The entire left front suspension, steering and tire assembly was heavily damaged. Left rear tire and suspension also damaged. Sun roof would not close. Very little exterior damage done scratched paint very small dents, almost all of the damage was done under the tire well. This is just a few of many!!!!