Why wont my brake lights work on my 2001 ford focus? Fuse is good & bulbs too.

110

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 06:19 PM about the 2001 Ford Focus SE

My brake lights dont work. Bulbs are new, fuse are good. My middle back light
works,headlights work but not the brake lights.

27,015

what model is it? 4door, hatch back, and is it automatic or manual transmisson. I was trying to look up a wiring diagram but I need all that information to get the correct one.

110

Well my ford focus is a 4 door, & it's automatic. 4 cylinder. & the year is 2001. My uncle checked the fuse & the bulbs for the brake lights are new. Everything is fine . Just cant pin point the problem? Maybe this will help, The last 2 months, my battery light would turn on for a few seconds, then shut off. Every time I'd first start the car, that light would turn on. Now that the brake lights don't work, the battery light don't turn on. My battery is new also. My head lights work, radio, blinkers also. Just not the back brake lights when I come to a stop. They turn on but not when i come to a stop.

27,015

man I dunno it sounds like everything is good. Have you checked power at the bulbs on the wire for the brake lamp side.

110

Yes, I believe my uncle checked the power at the bulbs also. That's why were trying to figure out what could possibly be the problem. I am sure he checked everything he could think of checking.

1,505

have you checked the switch for the brake lights

27,015

The 3rd brake lamp is operational brad that would rule out the switch, sice they all operate off the same switch.

1,505

yes, I know that, I just didn't see where it was said that those work, hey it's gotta be wiring

110

Yes, all that was checked. Maybe it is the wiring somewhere? Or maybe a short,lose wire or something that has to do with the stop lights.

110

Before this problem with the brake light started, when i drive at night & turn on the lights, I noticed the headlights like flickering low then high, low, then high. Think that could be connected with why the brake light ain't working? When I first turn on the car, the check the battery light would come on, then shut off in a few secs. Now that I have this problem with the brake light not working, the check the battery don't come on. Although my battery is new.??can someone help Please?

40

I just bought a 2001 ford focus zx3 with 110k n out of now where head lights would not work then the reverse lites then we got all that working n now my bettery is dead every day for some reason my blinkers are drawing my battery , also reverse lites are out again fuses are good battery gd this cars electicial is a hassel I just bought this car n haven't even got it on the road yet still waiting on title n I want to give it back bought from private person as is. So now I'm stuck ne one have ne aswers plez help

45

redman56 trace the brake light that does work to the ones that should work .check for loose or broken wiring.

10

I have the same problem 2003 zx3.. we tried to track all the wires from fr-to back - then back up the pass side , replaced the GEM. still no luck ?? maybe just add some red leds and jump them to the middle brake light ??

20

I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE and the tail lights just recently started to malfunction. The left side constantly is on when my headlights are on and my left side turn signal does not work either. Any help would be appreciated.

10

Im having same problem my husband changed the bulb and now blinkers or brake lights dont work

130

Start with pull out the 3rd brake light focus 's have issues with melting tail lights. Angela chances are wrong bulb. Alex sounds like same thing . Also cut open the wiring boot at the rear hatch. Maybe brokn wires thete

20

I would pull the carpet back in the rear by the hatch on drivers side and check for brake light power there.