Hi, my 94 safari speedometer has stopped working, the car won't shift and cruise control won't engage. Any ideas?

10

Asked by Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM about the 1994 GMC Safari 3 Dr STD AWD Passenger Van

1994 Safari 4.6 l v6 awd automatic. Something produced smoke under the dashboard
around the steering wheel idling at a stop sign and the results are above in the question.

Yeah, a short to ground then fuse blew, I will try to find a diagram but even if I do replacing the fuse will probably just blow again from what you describe..and whatever you do do NOT put in a higher amp fuse, that is not the solution, you will have an electrical fire

I found some schematics but they are not big enough to see... maybe you can-- click on it..-there are downloads for your Safari but cost $8.or if you want to tackle this yourself buy this: .......http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-GMC-SAFARI-VAN-ELECTRICAL-DIAGRAMS-SERVICE-MANUAL-/360303352841

10

Wow thanks. I know the dealer replaced the vehicle speed sensor and said they replaced a fuse with a higher rated fuse. So that makes sense. let me know if you have any further suggestions.

A mechanic at a dealer should KNOW BETTER than to put in a higher rated fuse. The only way in heck you can do that is if the old fuse was wrong and put the right one in. No exceptions. That explains the smoke...the fuse didn't blow soon enough and just made things worse. The old proverbial "where there's smoke...."