CV Boot sprays - lost my regular lights

Asked by Mar 18, 2015 at 02:18 AM about the 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Sorry, guess I messed up the post. Anyway, that CV boot sprayed grease all over here..and after that, I lost my regular lights. My fog lights and brights still work...just not the regular night driving lights. I'm trying to figure out if maybe this wire coming down around there might have something to do with it, or if there's any electrical wires that may have been affected right around in there? Here's another view of the wire I think might be affecting it

8,030

The regular low beam light filaments may have burnt in your headlight bulbs, But inspect your connectors for the wires at each headlight bulb connection. Sometimes loose fit can lead to connector damage and aftermarket replacement connectors are no help. they fit worse. Remove each bulb and inspect the filaments inside wearing examination gloves. The drive axle issue will repeat and repeat. If I had that kind I would seek the subaru specialist shops for a heat shield redesign, or get a lifetime part and keep replacing it for the rest of the vehicle's life is the other idea. see what they tell you.

21,745

Did you or someone else replace the boot/axle? Did the wiring get disturbed? I don't see how grease around the wheelwell can make the lights go out- maybe Sherlock Holmes or the Exorcist can help-

8,030

The wire loom is for O2 sensor, so lights are not connected to it. CV grease residue on the cover wont hurt if you clean it. Those cv's fail repeatedly without some kind of shielding. You would have to imagine a design you like for yours. I started to go to the drawing board on the last one I had, but the customer was impatient. cant help em when they are actin like that. I was hoping the subaru specialist had one at the ready for them.

8,030

Oh, i just thought of an example of the shielding I meant, the Ford tempo added them to the later models because the header pipe was close proximity to the inner cv. it was lightweight material, reflective, and like thick paper card with aluminum outer layer.

8,030

The grease spray is beside the transaxle and spraying the catalyst shield. It can spray and build up for quite a while before you begin to smell it cooking on the shield. After replacing the axle, it needs a shield of its own if you want my humble opinion.