71 Super Beetle will start with starter fluid, and idle, but will not accelerate

Asked by Apr 06, 2015 at 10:56 AM about the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle 1303

When I got the car, I replaced the brakes, coil, plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil, gas, trans oil, points, and condenser.  It ran great.  I was driving it when it suddenly began to cut out and backfire.  Now, I can get it started if someone sprays starter fluid, and it will run indefinitely.  However, as soon as I give it gas, now matter how much or how little, it sputters and dies.  I have since replaced the dist cap and rotor to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated.

40,005

Not sure about the beetle, but I know other VW's had a problem with the fuel pump intake screen getting plugged with rust. Was a known issue with the Cabriolets. Sounds like it's got enough gas for idle, but when you hit the peddle for take off, it just isn't there.

40,005

Have you tried this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6aVBW71Es