1968 and 1969 Front Valances

Asked by Feb 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM about the 1968 Pontiac Le Mans Convertible

Hi, I bought a 1968 Lemans Convertible with an unmatching bumper/valance
combination.  I think the bumper is right, but the valance seems to be 1969.  
However, I cannot find any other evidence of this type of valance - the kind with
license plate offset to the passenger side.  Does anyone know if there were multiple
valances made in 1969?  I am trying to figure out whether to replace my bumper with
a 1969 (I like the larger chrome bumper anyway), or find a 1968 valance to match my
existing bumper.  Thanks for the help.

665

You may want to join a car club that specializes in these cars. Usually, there are very savvy people who are willing to help.

5,345

The 68 valance was centered. The 69 was offset. Your choice since they will both fit your car. Not a big deal unless you want it to be correct for a 68. see attached picture of a 68 with the correct centered lic plate mounting.

Hi. The bumper is that of a 1968 and the lower valance is from a 69 lemans. the 1968 valance for a GTO and lemans are the same, they have wrap around signal lights so there isn't a need for side marker ligts. (69 had side marker/signal lights on the front fenders.) 68 valance panel looks much sleaker. Engoy your car... looks great

My recollection is that for 1968 the front plate location was fixed in the center and that for 1969 it was a movable bracket so it could be located in the center of the valances or offset to either side. What I think you have is a 1968 GTO bumper(assuming it is endura and not just pained metal) with a 1969 Tempest/LeMans valance. I agree with OLUKOLD_GTO that the 1968 Tempest/LeMans/GTO valance is better looking.

I have seen 1 1968 GTO valance with no license pad which could have been a 1969 le mans without the license plate bracket. I have never seen the license plate bracket. This arrangement might be unique to some state law or a military or some fleet requirement like a police vehicle. Most states don't require a front license. But this car looks odd anyway, maybe Canadian. I have never seen a le mans endura bumper. This bumper looks like painted steel.

I have a 69 Tempest. I am looking for the correct Valance. I'll buy yours if you get another. The ones they sell don't fit with the metal bumper. Picture of my attached