Will tire hit front wheel well

20

Asked by Oct 08, 2015 at 08:25 PM about the 1971 Ford Torino 500

Want to put a wider tire on the car I
have 225-70-14 on now Want to get
a 15x7 rim.  Will a 215-60-15 hit the
wheel well when I turn wheel all the
way Tire shops will only tell you what
oem tells them. If I buy rims and tires
and they rub ,I can't return I'll be
stuck with them Need to be
absolutely positive

Your 225/70-14 are a diameter of 26.4" and going to 215/60-15 is narrower than 225. The first number in the tire size is the width in millimeters so you are going less wide doing that. But 1.25" less tall at 25.16" diameter....even with the 15" rims, and your speedometer will show 57mph at at a true 60 also.... but you are going to a LESS wide tire and smaller diameter. So I can say with some certainty they will not rub

Best Answer

I was looking for the bolt pattern for your car but none of the charts/databases go back that far to 1971

72,235

Unless things have changed from the 70's, 215,225,245,265 all has to do with dia. along with 14" 15" 16'' and so on, The larger the number, the larger the dia. Width is 50's being a wide tire, to 75's being a more narrow tire. Never the less if it helps I had 15/235/60 all around my 1977 Monte Carlo with no problem. My friend had a 1970 Ford Torino, I'll call him and ask.

First number is width in mm. Second number, the 60 or 70 is aspect ratio -- % of width in mm An aspect ratio, or profile of 60 is 60% of witdth. A 225/60 means the sidewall is 60% of 225 = 135mm

But Rowefast ... dude... nothing has changed from the 70.'s ... not a thing ..... hehe

like so

26,115

so my answer to the question is> you can even go larger than that.. that was easy !

Good evening Kelly and Thanks, I agree

72,235

All right then, I never realized how they figured that so I learn something witch is good. But I think we all agree that the tire and rim size Paul wants to put on this car will fit. I still waiting on my friend who had a 70" Torino all decked out to gather his opinion.

20

Need to be sure I don't buy something that's going to hit the wheel well Once the tire is mounted There is no returning and I could be screwed Waiting to here about your friends 70 Torino

72,235

I haven't forgotten, I will let you know.

72,235

I just talked to my buddy on this, there are some questions here to ask you. Have you rebuilt the suspension at all or plan on it. The 71 Torino front fenders are more squared off than the 70". He had 235/60/15 on 8" wide rims, but had an issue with the rear tires, but he put an extra leaf spring in to lift it up. The front fenders on his 70" were flared out (factory body style) and had no issue. He is telling me 215/60/15 on a 7" wide rim would work, but he wants to check if the 8" rim can work. He has other contacts he is going to check with. I have to call him back at 7:30 eastern time. Are you looking at any type of off-set rim? You definitely can't go outward, possibly inward? Another ting to watch, my buddy put same on his 71" Mustang the front was fine until he raised the back end to accept the tires. He has to replace the springs in the front now, but he still drives it. These are options you MIGHT have to do. I'll be back this evening.

20

The Certerlines I have on now have 4 1/8 offset Springs and leafs r probably 15 years old

72,235

Waiting to talk with my buddy, I'll get back in a bit...

Rowefast please do. Now you guys got me really in to this. But one piece of unsolicited advice Paul -- don't use adapters whatever you do. They change the offset and where the load is carried on the wheel bearings. My attention tonight will be watching the Dodgers whomp the Mets

72,235

I'm still waiting, he had a church thing to go to.

72,235

Well, my buddy must have gotten tied up as he lives in Colorado & I am in Michigan. I will talk to him and let you know what he says. In the mean time, I do believe the 215/60/15 on a 7" wide rim would be a safe bet. So did my friend from Co. We or he was just checking out if you could get a 8" wide rim on there, and maybe a 225/60/15. Our rim & tire place here (and it is a small town) would order 1 rim & tire to make sure it would fit. If didn't fit they would use it as a display. I know not all places would do this. I'll have to get back with you tomorrow.

72,235

OK I got the low down, the Torino's back then had the option of 15" rims, but you know just your standard rim. So as long as the dynamics of the rim you choose is the same as a standard 15" rim that the car could come with, you will not have a problem. You should be able to handle a 225/60/15 no problem. He didn't see a problem with an 8" wide rim but was a little unsure. Now unless you want to do something with the suspension, you could put what you want on there. Hope we all helped in Your Decision, and have you tried looking on line at Torino's to get ideas on what you can do? Be worth your wild.

Paul. I also hope we helped you in any way. That '71 was offered an engine as big as 460, the era of big-block muscle cars, when gas was 50ยข. My days of young and dumb. But the 302 or now more referred to as 5.0 was an option and is a is a sweet engine. Check out this website -http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1971/826955/ford_torino_500_sportsroof_250_six.html

And thanks Rowefast for all the work and research. I appreciate it and I bet Paul does too

72,235

I appreciate that, and I learned more on tire sizes, It was all good input from everyone, and that's what we're trying to do, is help people make right decisions on their vehicles as they are expensive to maintain.