Has not been started in 3 yrs and won't start now. what do I ckeck for.

20

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:04 AM about the 1971 Ford Torino 500

I was running. I tried starter fluid and nothing. don't think it is getting spark. the wires are factory. It turns over fine. What all should I look for. It only has 70000 miles.

67,375

Fresh gasoline, a new fuel filter, and a complete tune up. You may have to get the carburetor rebuilt and replace the fuel pump as well. Ideally the gas tank should be dropped and cleaned. The fuel lines cleaned and blown out with compressed air. After 3 years you may also be looking at a valve job as well. Gasoline turns to varnish over time. This creates a sticky, gooey mess in the entire fuel system. If the car was properly prepared for storage before it was parked the issues should be minimal. But definitely a complete tune up and go over the entire fuel system. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks. I just expected with gas poured in card and the starter fluid it would try to fire off for a minute.

67,375

You're welcome. For future reference when storing a car fill up the gas tank with premium and add a fuel stabilizer product. Then drive the car to the storage facility. There is a host of other things to do to prepare a car for long term "dead" storage. But this will at least protect the fuel system. If the car is to be stored for a really extended period there's a whole other list of things to do. Such as draining the gas tank, removing the fuel pump & carb, and blowing out the fuel lines. Just to name a few. To avoid all this I try to drive my cars at least 4 times per year. This is enough to keep them running well. HTH -Jim