I just recently changed the distributor and found it was 180 degrees out. It was running a little rough after. I got a male friend to check the spark plugs which I'd changed. He didn't tighten #4 back in and while driving it blew out. I got home slowly but could smell fuel. I put the spark plug back in. Charged my battery up and now when I turn the ignition Fuel appears under the engine. I'm a female and know the basics. But don't know where to start. Can anyone help? I'm weary of fuel and fire.

Asked by Nov 08, 2015 at 04:58 AM about the 1968 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback

20,425

Yeah, you should be wary of fuel and fire- and Donner and Blitzen- and Sturm und Drang- sorry, I don't know what that means- but it sounded good- those old beetles are pretty simple machines, but everything has to be adjusted just right- all the little wires and strings and rubber bands ya know? If you wanna learn your way around the tool box, an old beetle is a great way to start- because they are simple- and there is a lot of fiddlin' and tuning- like a guitar- the fuel leak does not sound like it's related to any of the other problems- a new problem- just look under the (rear) bonnet and find where the gas is coming out- and replace the hose, or tighten the clamp or buy a new fuel pump- you can do it- you go, girl!

Thanks Jamnblues, this is not only helpful but a relief knowing it's not related...I can now concentrate on the fuel leak only. I shall work on it tomorrow. Cheers from New Zealand.

20,425

NZ! wow- so cool- I'm here in NM- USA- other side of the world! Oh, by the way, while the fuel is pouring out don't be smokin' or makin' any sparks- like tryin' to start it- sounds like you can just turn the ignition on and you have an electric fuel pump that will pump without startin' the engine?- have a fire extinguisher handy and wear gloves- you don't want any of that gas gettin' on your skin- and try not to breathe it too much- if it does get on your skin, wash it off with soap and water RIGHT AWAY- I hate dealin' with gasoline-

8,265

In my knowledge of the old vw's i believe there should be a plastic fuel rail under the carpeting in the front that has 4 leads on it. my dads cracked in 2 pieces almost and it was leaking fuel all over. would be a good place to start looking for the leaks. I posted a picture so you can find the part easy. And the idle valve being 180degrees out of whack would mean it was put in backwords or it lost the spring. I find that unlikley. who did the rebuild on the carb before you had it done?

8,265

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599647 This link should help you find the leak.