The linkage on the manual 3 speed column shift are frozen after 20 years+ of storage

10

Asked by Oct 28, 2016 at 07:52 PM about the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Base

I have been spraying all the joints with liquid wrench and w-d 40 several times
over the last couple of weeks and I can finally move the shifter from 2nd to
3rd but with a great deal of effort.  The shifter will not pull back to go into 1st
and reverse.  Could it be in the steering column or inside the transmission?

96,415

To answer your question - Yes! A car that old could mean that a lot of things are wrong. Keep working on the shifter but you might want to disconnect the shifter from the transmission and try shifting it by hand under the car.

10

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow! Oh, and yes, there are a lot of things wrong but it's all there with good glass and trim. I imagine that all 235 engine parts will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Labor of love. Floor pan is gone too. Going to learn to weld