1995 Safari automatic, just started loosing forward and reverse the minute it gets warm

Asked by Nov 02, 2014 at 12:39 AM about the 1995 GMC Safari 3 Dr SLT AWD Passenger Van Extended

Van goes about 2 blocks before acting like a manual trans with clutch slowly being depressed. I'm a disabled vet with some car experience and little money. If you don't know anything I can try then I guess I'll be without a vehicle again.

8,265

your trany is going. A automatic trany should always be engaged except in neutral or park. The fact it is slowly slipping to what feels like neutral is because the gears are engaging but slipping back off. So your looking at a trany job for rebuild or a new one. This can cost any where up to 2000$ to fix. and at that price you might as well just find another car. on kijiji to drive.

Thanks, I'm going to try one thing suggested by a mechanic here. Since it runs fine cold he said he had one like that caused by a dirty filter. I guess it's worth $30 of parts before I call the junk man. To many other things wrong to put more than that into it. Just has to last until our house sells and we get a few extra dollars for something decent. Again thanks

8,265

np good luck and if you find your self needing a cheap car just try kijiji there is tones of cars on there for pennys that need little to no work.

Best Answer

pardon my ignorance but what's "kijiji"? Just finished the van and drove it for 1/2 hour with no problems. Pray it stays that way but if not, a place to find cheap cars would be a big help. thanks...

8,265

well if you heard of crags list its virtually the same thing. Its a public listing website that people put things on to either get rid of or sell or request to buy items from. its primarily a Canadian website i think tho if you look around you may find something us based like craigslist i think is simalur.

Thanks for all your help. I really thought I had it fixed. Over 100 miles in town on Thursday with no problems and then on Friday in less than a mile it did it again. I pulled over to the side of the road, shut it off for about 2-3 min, restarted it and it got me back home fine. I can't afford to take it to a trans shop and use the little money I have for an est. in case I need it for something else that would last me until our house gets sold. Anyone have any other ideas I could look at on my own?

8,265

i hear scrap dealers love old cars hehe. Well you can also try finding an old trany at a auto wreckers it would be cheaper then a rebuild but not by much.

That's where it's headed...$500 is still more than this old van is worth.