why does my 2015 rav 4 give me troubles with starting? cranks but does not complete the start much of the time

90

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 11:21 PM about the 2015 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD

got it in oct, first newer car in 17 yrs, dealer certified.....low mileage.....
my husband also cant get a reliable start the first time..... has been to the
dealer a few times.  i can replicate the issue but no one else can ? they
have watched what " I " am doing, no different than them...YET its a
continuing issue and they dont know how to correct it... yes strange I know,
I have NEVER had an issue starting a car its ridiculous, not sure what to
do.... its fully covered by warranty for repair.. they tried an ignition relay,
and a fuel pump thinking it was related...any ideas? would appreciate some
insight if someone has some and Thank You....

90

just wanted to add, it eventually starts usually x2 attempts sometimes more.......... but its unacceptable for the newness......

66,075

Talk to your lawyer about The Lemon Law. Sounds like the dealer needs to buy back this vehicle and sell you one that wants to run. Not trying to be harsh but I agree! There's no reason for a brand new vehicle to behave like this!! HTH. -Jim

I agree. That Rav4 has a proven, reliable engine and that is 100% unaceptable. It should start first time everytime in less than 3 seconds cranking... I don't care if it's 10° below. Jim is right.

That may be why the former owner traded it in, got tired of the starting problems with such low mileage/age of car and the dealer just put it on the lot hoping to pawn it off to some unsuspecting customer and you are a victim

90

and that is exactly How I feel ! thank you for validating that! car has spent weeks at the dealership (not the one i got it at they are crooks in my opinion, there are other things that are not " right" on the body of the car as well, interesting that the car was not washed and detailed when they had a weeks notice i was coming to get it" and the 160 point checklist is b.s. because it does not disclose nor did the dealer, among other things., there is no record of an accident or repair on carfax, or evidence of this car being serviced for this issue ??? what is really ODD is that they claim I am the only one that can replicate the issue, when present with others they turn the key and it starts every time, I do immediately after and it half cranks or takes 2 or more times to turn over. they are trying to say that is ME ? it happens to my husband also he refuses to drive it.

90

and i have now had 3 loaners 2 key start and the 3rd i drove for 3 weeks pushbutton (mine is a key) NOT ONE time did i have a starting issue EVER ! I also have NEVER had any issue like this with ANY car, they had me start another 2015 rav with a key and it started no problem, its like they are trying to say i have some weird " energy" affecting the car ? seriously? b.t.w im in my early 50's not a kid, not clueless.. can i post a video here of what happens when i crank it ? engineer from toyota has video taped what happens when " I " start it, i do nothing differently but get a different result much of the time.

66,075

Sounds like they're trying to make up excuses for something that can't be fixed. It sounds like some kind of electrical problem. We have a 2011 Chevy Aveo as a delivery vehicle at work. We got it new and it's always been a "long cranker" since day 1. It'll crank for maybe 10 seconds before it starts. Every time. But it always starts and runs fine. So on that car it must be normal. Yours, however, definitely does not sound normal!! HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
90

i would agree with you........T. Y. !

66,075

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click! -Jim

90

after 3 hours and 3 engineers, doing all kinds of testing with computers, RF device, plugging and unplugging and recording data, watching me start the car, video of me starting the car etc, they will replace the computer, and new battery and starter the last 2 because of the hundreds of start cycles for trying to replicate im sure has worn those down. they were very nice and I was as patient and diplomatic as I could muster.

66,075

They may be able to install a device that monitors, over time, how the vehicle behaves. Kinda like how insurance companies can monitor your driving habits. This would show any strange activities over the span of several days. HTH. -Jim

90

car goes to the shop wed, turned off the interior light that comes on for extended play, and not using the DRL , and had 3 days of it starting the first time every time probably 15 start cycles, didnt go anywhere sunday, monday am started right up, turned the interior lights ( that turns on when the door is open only) after work back to the same old thing.... hoping a new battery and the other parts ends the issue, thinking there is a battery drain happening ?