My car is smoking from the exhaust

30

Asked by Oct 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM about the 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

I got my oil changed at Walmart, thr next day I realizd they put in 10w-30 when my truck only takes 5w-20 it says it right on the oil cap. When I told them, they said "they saw in the computer that it takes 5-20 but noticed the mechanic(which is part-time, once every 2 weeks) put in 10-30. He said he would flush it and put the right kind in at no cost. After we walked around in walmart for about 45 mins. we went to check, they said there was silicone on our gasket that was leaking, and because of this they couldn't touch it until I got it fixed. Now my car is leaking oil, but the dipstick says its full, it now smokes very badly when I start it, but usually stops after about a minute. This morning it didn't stop, so I couldn't drive it, for fear of breaking it. The mechanic at Walmart said that the wrong oil in there wouldn't hurt it, and after we get it fixed we can bring it back in and they will fix their mistake. Why is my car now smoking, and why didn't they notice the leak in the oil pan the day before. Am unsure of what it could be, and would like a better understanding of what is wrong, and how much it should average to fix it.

285,855

We need to know the color of the smoke, blue, grey or white? What gasket is leaking.

30

Oil pan gasket and white smoke

1,495

white smoke usually indicates a head gasket.

77,985

Putting in a different weight oil, as you described, won't hurt anything. I believe the alleged leak is just an excuse to not give you a free oil change. The white smoke is probably a head gasket or intake manifold gasket failure. Again, not related. The problem you're going to run into with this is the vehicle is 13 years old. Things break and wear out on 13 year old vehicles. Sorry! -Jim

30

Okay thank you, no one has ever gave me that as a reason. I have gotten it inspected and I do have a whole in my exhaust, but am wondering about how much the head gasket would cost.

77,985

First thing to do is pressure test the cooling system. As part of this test the engine should be started. The mechanic should watch the needle on the tester. If the needle bounces you've got a blown head gasket. If not it's most likely the intake manifold gasket. Pull the oil dipstick. Is there white "goop" on it? My guess is there will be. Lastly, I wouldn't give either job to Walmart. An intake gasket or a head gasket is a major repair requiring much knowledge and skill to perform successfully. As an example I had my intake gasket replaced on my '93 Caprice at the Chevy dealer. They messed it up the first time. Be careful who you get to do this job!! HTH. - Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

Be dam!!! Sure u pull the right plug when changing oil on a from wheel drive cause I pulled the tranny plug an put new oil on top of old oil.. Therfor I had 4 quarts on top of 4 quarts.. An that makes ur car blow very thick white smoke an it even smells like oil. So I had to much oil with no tranny oil that's bad.. But luckly as soon as I seen it smoking I shut the car off going down the hwy. an that's the best thing to do if u see or hear a problem turn it off if not it could lead to bigger problems

I'm having this same problem did you find out the problem

if there is no white gunk on your dipstick, take off the intake manifold and check the gasket on top then the bottom, then check the exhaust manifold gasket if there is white on your dipstick its your head gasket