EGR valve exploded

Asked by Jan 11, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Has anyone ever seen a EGR valve body blow apart?

NO,not unless it was defective from the factory,or it had been removed in the past and cracked.on removal or reinstalation.

something is causing a pressure build up to make it explode. Put a new one on yesterday, my daughter drove it about 4 miles and it blew a hole in the new one in the exact same place.

65

I had one explode a while ago, a few days after, the next one blew up but the third one was a charm....like 100k ago lol..

the egr controls some of the idel,no real pressure in it,I would say defective lot # from supplyer,try a independent parts dealer,they have better qulaity parts.

520

You have clogged catalytic converters. If you had a check engine light on it was probably for a cylinder misfire. The 3.0L V6 engines have problems with the C.O.Ps (Coil On Plugs). When the spark plug doesn't fire it dumps unburnt gas into the exhaust system, eventually clogging the converters. The Escapes have 3 catalytic converters. The upper 2 converters and the coils are both expensive. You can do what I did. Take it to an exhaust shop that you know well, have them cut and hollow out the cats, and buy 2 little devices called "mini cat"s sold by Big Daddys Garage. These trick the computer into thinking there is a converter there. They go in between the O2 sensor and the exhaust. I run this on a daily driver! Buy yourself a "universal" catalytic converter for the lower (rear) cat so your vehicle is still environmentally friendly! Good luck friends.

100

i have the 2002 escape with the 3.0 v-6 and i blew the side out of my egr as well i've had the upstream cats gutted withan intact one downstream. this fixed the problem for a while 3 weeks i think. now it is doing it again im chasing the cylinder misfire theory keep you guys updated if i can

210

Its 3rd cat that is plugged my tribute (01 v6 ) blew the egr just like yours , i pulled the exhaust took out the junk , now she runs sweet lots of power . The front two cats dont usually clog , my clogg was due to faulty coil paks in the past

90

it exploded because one or more of your catalytic converters is clogged up. the pressure built from the exhaust has no where else to go but the exhaust gas recirculation valve. I experienced this same thing, erg exploded, had to change two cats.

if you remove it and cleaned it with the wrong solution that can be another cause for it to explode

80

Angelo, what two cats did you change and how much did it cost you?

100

where do I get these mini cats from????

110

this all sounds ridiculous for 1 if the cats where blocked up to that point then the engine wouldn't run for that to happen. I do know that they do blow out which is strange but even still if it was a decently made part that would never happen. I don't buy the exhaust idea because the one I saw wasn't hooked up where the pipe screws into the EGR valve so pressure could not have built up. however something is causing this and I will try and find out what so I can give people GOOD advice. that is legal toolmaster

40

My cat. converters have been a problem even after replacing two of them. Engine light has been on and off for years. Finally the ERG valve blew out, exactly like the one pictured. Replaced it and the new one blew out in the same way on the way home from the garage. Not sure what to do now. car has 168K miles on it and don't want to put out for new cat converters. But no doubt the problems are related.

10

It is a clogged cat! There are videos of EGR valves blowing through hood. It builds up pressure and blows back through EGR and after so much of it, it blows it up

50

Wow! It's a shame that such an extreme is all too common with the Tribute aka Ford Escape. This is not an acceptable failed maintained problem. At worst, the vehicle should be made to cut off when a system.. in this case the cat converters have a very good chance of getting to that extreme!. Just the glowing red hot temperatures is a very real danger.I think the NHL should consider this a major hazard and make it the responsibility of ford/Mazda to implement a mandatory recall of these vehicles. But then again it took people to die in Ford Pinto before anything was done!

50

Correction on NHL ..NHTS

50

IN Calif. it's illegal to put aftermarket cats as replacements. They have to be certified Oem. type. Unless you install them yourself, no muffler shop will even accept the job.

60

I am working on a 04 Escape 3L built 08/03 that belongs to a friend. She called me saying she was broke down. When I checked it out I found the side of the casting was blown out. I replaced it on site and she got about 6 mile before the new one blew out too. It did have about 1 hour of time to cool between the original breakdown and install of the new one. She limped it to my house the first thing I looked at was the cats. I have been wrenching on cars, light trucks, and aircraft over 40 yrs. I have seen plugged cats glow from heat and tend to agree with the theories presented here. However I did not see this on any of them. I will check the computer data for misfires history. Depending on what I find I might take things apart and post an update on what I find.

60

Update... I put my Snapon Ethos on the car to read the computer. I found no memory or pending codes. I pulled the down stream cat and put a camera probe in the inlet. I found the face of the ceramic honeycomb completely plugged with material from the upstream cats. I priced cats at Auto Zone $1300. The website Rock Auto $811. After a conversation with the owner I came up with option 2. I gutted the down stream cat and put it back on. It is not monitored by the computer so it will not throw a code. After replacing the second EGR I started it and the check eng light came on. It was a TPS code. I found the TPS had been burned by the hot air coming from the blown out EGR valve.

30

I've had 3 blow out on me but only when going up a hill over 4000 rpm' my escape is gutless going up steep hills only goes 60 ks up hills, I would love to know what the exact problem is

30

The problem is a plugged catalytic converter as noted above. Plugged exhaust will rob power from the engine and the heat and back pressure from the plugged exhaust is what causes the EGR valve to fail.

40

plugged cat. i have a hole and a plugged cat. im going to take the 2 cats off and soak them in hot soapy water over night like scotty kilmer said on his youtube. for all the people wondering why the misfire is happening, i made a video on it. Girl friends escape has no more misfires... just some plugged cats lol. youtube search fyi guy ford escape and it should be the first video.

20

I have the p0401 code on an 05 escape. Switched out egr valve and there is a new dpfe sensor after it had burned up. 3.0 litre has lots and lots of power. Replaced downstream cat as it blew off while 4 wheeling! The old cat was not clogged. Still getting the P0401 code after clearing it with a cheap obd11 device. Any ideas? Could the upstream cats be clogged even if it still has tons of power?

30

I Run Exhaust Pros in Richfield, MN. the problem is indeed a plugged Cat. Ford had the bright idea of running the primary cats too close to the manifold, so if your car isnt running perfect, you get unburnt fuel in the cat, which eventually ignites and either shatters the ceramic, blowing the pieces into the secondary cat and plugging it there, or melting the ceramic at the primary resulting in a big slag ball. for those of you that talked about soaking and cleaning, dont bother, it wont work. for those that changed out the plugged secondary, the reason you are throwing a code now is that the primary cat is empty. The car will run, but will be running rich ALL the time, making noticeable difference in fuel economy.