Disabling antiteft on 2001 Ford Escape w/o fob remote

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 02:46 AM about the 2001 Ford Escape XLT

My hood wz left open for cpl wks,unbeknownst to me, as I
wz waiting for a ECM to arrive in mail. Friend wz putting it in
today while I wz wrkng. I had hoped to come home to a
running car but instead wz told by roommate that antitheft
on & car wouldn't turn over & as guy wz hooking up cables it
started to downpour so he left.(Erica has put halt to new
roof, shingles up there already,& new air unit & NOW...MY
CAR.) So now I'm trying to figure out how to disable it w/o
fob remote (fell off keying) so once I DO get charge on it I
can start car to see if ECM works...I think it's something like
turning key to on position, but not over, then pushing
something...that's where I get lost. Any advice?

2,255

there is no easy way to say this and you might hate me for this but with putting in a computer you have to have it flashed unless it comes preprogramed. the key that you have for the escape probably has a chip in it and the pats or personal anti theft system is not reading the chip and there will not allow you to start the car. the security or theft light should be flashing. I have had a shop for 15 years and have seen many of these come in throught out the 2000 where the battery dies and the computers loose the theft portion of the programing. here is what has to be done the truck needs to be flashed with the codes and programs again and only the dealer can do this costs right around $100 to $200 dollars. sorry for the bad news but you might be able to get a lock smith to do it if they have the computer system but there is a slim chance in that. again sorry

Best Answer Mark helpful
52,075

It has to go to the dealership for electronically adapting the ECU to your vehicle. There is no way around this.

Thank you PrideAuto & Bob. Just alotta crud goin on right now. Aug. was a full moon month for me. Thanks for such quick fixes. So far..this is what's going on in escape. Seems when I wz wrkng & called roommate 2 get # off of ECM 4 me he read wrong #(he read off of casing...#1L8F12523AD...) which is what I ordered online (ebay/Canada) thinking it wz matching ECM. Part installed/battery dead/anti theft on...put full chrg on batt/car turned on/not over...put old computer back in/car started right up...NOW WHAT I'M WONDERING IS...CAN ECM FROM 2003 ESCAPE...#BAR2...BE PROGRAMMED/FLASHED TO MATCH 2001ESCAPE...ECM #XHJ0...or DO I HAVE TO FIND IDENTICAL # ECM & YEAR? whew...that wz alotta texting...thanks again for all help...

Well...now I am seeing that I do indeed need all those other #s instead of just the letters (as the boyfriend mechanic quite nastily told his girlfriend, my bestfriend)...so I will go home(@ work now) & look up #s on old computer & replacement one & see if compatible w each other...if not...will return ECM just bought off ebay & get matching one for my car. Yikes.

Oh yes. Will definitely find in that is flashed first giving them my VIN #

2,255

if the number wont match the computer might be the same for a 2001 to a 2003 but the programming and possably pin locations could be wrong. the best thing is to get the proper numbered computer and send the one back that you got.get the right number ECU but just to let you know that it might and probably will still need to be flashed by the dealer. you can get lucky and the number matching one and have it work. best of luck to you bud

Thanks again PrideAuto. I ended up sending ECM back to seller on ebay...& bought 1 that is the exact numbered & already flashed w key (but will still have to have key programmed) & has LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! It wz a bit more $ but A LOT LESS AGGRAVATION...So I am now just waiting on that. Thanks again for quick reply. Sure eased this old girls mind...