Anyone else having problems w/ horrible vinegar/mold smell in ac of 2015 ML 350 (Mercedes).

10

Asked by Feb 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM about the 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 350 4MATIC

Last week the car started emitting a horrible vinegar smell from the ac when
first turned on. Took it to the dealership ( still under warranty ) and they want
$330 to flush and clean the mold out of the ac unit and replace the filters.
Claimed it not covered. Said that we need to turn ac off 5 minutes prior to
reaching destination to let moisture out so it doesn't stay in unit and become
moldy !
What !? I don't think I should have to babysit an ac unit in a $65K car !
All I can think about is Legionnaires Disease....caused by mold in a ventilation
system.
Mercedes told us some BS that this is common in all luxury cars. We've
owned new BMW, Audi, and Lexus' that have never had this issue.
They acted very casual about it, but yet its not covered, AND we'll probably
have to have this done every year.

263,885

The dealer is right about the mold on the evaporator and turning the AC Off. Some cars are worse than others. You can save $330 and do it yourself.. Check youtube and search on "AC smell Scotty Kilmer". He'll show you how to clean the AC evaporator for the cost of a Lysol Can.

60

I have the same 'smelly feet' issue with an MB Gle 350 diesel brand new in feb 2016. 7 months later smelly feet on startup...

60

Also it's been cleaned by MB and two months later the smell is now coming back again.

10

its unacceptable , and there is a law suit pending against mercedes. I have a $ 120k AMG that stinks nothing can be done

55

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE IN 2012 ML. THIS SMELL MAKE THE CAR UNDRIVABLE. I HEARD ABOUT THE LAWSUIT. I GOT INTITLED. HOPE THEY WIN. IT IS UNACEPTABLE! HERE IS THE LINK: https://www.lieffcabraser.com/defect/mercedes-benz-ac-mold/?gclid=COKtg5O7rNMCFcFehgodUxQPqA

10

Thanks for the link , Jalp123. We just signed up. It's unacceptable in a car of this caliber or any car for that matter. I read that a judge in Calif refused to throw out 2 Mercedes dismissal pleas regarding this issue.

40

Sign up for the class action. Luxury cars should admit their problems and fix them obviously, with the number of complaints, this is a problem. My message to Mercedes. I am embarrassed to have people ride with me, so we use our Lexus.

10

There class action lawsuit going on. https://www.lieffcabraser.com/defect/mercedes-benz-ac-mold/? gclid=CjwKEAjw1a3KBRCY9cfsmdmWgQ0SJAATUZ8bDm9M8N 5e26G93E64QGGKnr4Dxrcj_OxnTSoLPaLgWBoCc6Xw_wcB I just signed up for it as I have the same issues.

10

My 2010 ML350 smells terrible and I did the freshy fresh as the dealer calls it, did nothing for the smell. I was told the same BS, run your heater for a minute every time you turn off your car. CRAZY!

No!!! No one should have to babysit an AC UNIT! We have this problem on our 2017 GLS 550, a $105,000.00 car! Seriously? I ended up on oxygen due to car! Since I have not been driving it, my breathing is much better. Now we have contacted an attorney and are awaiting a resolution.. or court date. There is a case now going on dealing with this same issue. If you would like to reach me, my email dlgrunfeld@aol.com . Thanks

Same here...I have a 2011 C300 (40k miles), and my father has a 2014 C300 (19k miles). I contacted Mercedes and was told "while aware of the situation, it is the consumer's responsibility to pay for any an all costs associated with the issue."

20

I own a 2015 GL 450, have changed filters 4 times! The sour smell from AC keeps coming back ! Mercedes needs to do something about to! Thanks for posting the lawsuit link, I just signed up.

Same here. Melbourne Australia ML250 problem since getting the car, now out of warranty, has been fixed 6 times.

Same issue here. 2014 ML350 that my wife is ready to sell, she hates the car because of this and is embarrassed to have people in the car. We've had the issue since 2015. The dealer told me that the design of the A/C system "traps" the condensate to prevent the dripping of water that's common on most all other cars, it's a proprietary luxury design by Mercedes! He indicated the intent is for the refrigeration system (hot gas side) to actually evaporate the condensate prior to it becoming stale water sitting in the drain pan. I asked if they could simple drill a hole to allow the water to drain, they said no....lot's of techno reasons why they couldn't. So a terrible design by Mercedes and apparently no solution for a fix, resulting in unacceptable Customer sanctification in our experience. My Toyota is older, blows ice cold air, drips puddles all over the driveway and smells like roses! Duh...

10

I just signed up for the class action my daughter is getting sick driving her car having some allergic reaction to her MB which just 35K miles brought it Rusnak and same BS they wanted me to pay for the new cabin filter.

I have had the same awful issues with my C230 and now my ML350. Its very bad and i am paying for this car via a loan to smell mould and crap. Something needs to be done...I am so embarrassed about the smell of my car and MB is not helping. what do i do?

I have GLC 300 and had same problem ever since i bought it. Less than a year, i changed 3 times. Funny thing is, last visit, they told me i am not supposed to have any car air freshner in my car and said thats what cayses odor. What?????!!!! They mentioned it's "written" some where that benz car doesn't recommend air freshner in car. WHAT?!?!?!??! Ridiculous.