help!! what do i do?

Asked by Jan 11, 2017 at 06:49 PM about the 1997 GMC Yukon SLE

when I start my 1997 GMC Yukon everything is fine but when I tried to take it from park to reverse or drive or anything for that matter, the gear shifter is really loose and it wont go into any gears. I cant find any help or videos or anything for my year and make online any ideas? idk what trim is but mine is a 4 door not 4wd I just selected SLE cause I didn't know. it is a v8

9,885

Climb under truck and see if linkage is connected to transmission, it might've came off

yes it is connected, I mean it looks like it is

9,885

Apply emergency brake and have someone move the shift lever up and down and see if you see it move the transmission linkage

nothing moved . a little back story is that I had the tranny worked on and since then it wouldn't go into 1st or 2nd and when it frist happened my husband moved the shifter kinda hard trying to get it to work right and at first it was stiff and now its loose do you think it needs to be adjusted or that its broke?

9,885

The cable is broken

are your sure that maybe there isn't just slack in it? Like maybe just need to tighten it?

9,885

If there was some movement yes but if it's not moving at all, the cable snapped

ok so what do I need to do now to get it drivable again?

9,885

Check to make sure cable is connected at the shift level, if it is, then it means cable is broken somewhere and you'll need to replace cable assy

so it was disconnected and he tried to hold it together with his hands and shift and it still wouldn't work

9,885

Ok so now we're dealing with the original problem that caused the cable to break loose. There is a switch on the brake pedal which releases the shifter. Sounds like this switch is acting up.

so what would your next move be?

9,885

The switch is under the steering column cover by brake pedal with a silver plunger, see if plunger is pressed when you step on the brakes or tape it in place just to see if it works

Hey dummy take it to a mechanic they'll fix it

It's common for that old stuff to rot or break

@joseph hey asshole don't get on a car help site and comment on posts if all your going to do is be a jerk, I realize a mechanic could of fixed it but I wanted to see if we could fix it at home like we did thanks to the other guys help, stop trolling for people to bully!!

Sounds like your shift linkage is broke. A lot of vehicles have cheap plastic bushing that go bad all the time and when they go bad you have no gears. Bolts can't back out too and when that happens, there's nothing attaching the shifter to the tranny.