won't start,just clicks one time

Asked by Mar 29, 2007 at 09:57 AM about the 1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4WD

I go to start it and it doesn't turn over at all it just makes a single click noise. sounds like it is coming from the starter area

25,100

Hi Suburbanguy! Here's a no-start troubleshooting guide to help you run down your problems. Hope it helps ... Good Luck! http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

195

sounds like the starter soleniod is shot

4,065

get your starter replaced, and also check the starter cable to see if it's corroded. If it is, you will go through alot of starters really fast.

4,065

it also could be a dead battery.

2,520

don't go replacing anything unless you check it out first...start by checking the battery...things won't work properly with a crappy battery...pull it out and take it to a reputable place to be tested...if ok move on..if crap replace with a good one...after all it's a GM.(deserves the best) the move on to checking all the grounds....dig around a bit,there are a few...clean them up good or replace if corroded...then move on to checking for power to the starter with a good quality meter...then replace the starter if needed....also peel open the harness at the neutral safety switch...this si a problem area on that gm model....switch might need to be replaced along with a section of harness....hope this helps....

260

i know this is an old thread, maybe it'll help someone out. About a few weeks ago I had a bad battery in my 99 Yukon. I replaced it and everything appeared to be working just fine. a few days ago the Yukon didn't want to start. As soon as I turned the key I heard a single click - no start. I had the starter and solenoid checked - the starter wasn't engaging when energized. So i got a new unit. I got it installed and checked the battery connections and noticed that my positive post wasn't screwed in all the way. After a few minutes of trying I found that the terminal screw was stripped. I replaced and the Yukon started like a champ. In short- there wasn't a solid battery connection so there wasn't enough power supplied to the starter (solenoid) Hope this helps someone.

120

I agree with ShadeTree.... I've had this happen TWICE to me... The 2nd time I thought the terminals were tight... NOT!!!! It is best to take them out then screw them back in and make sure they are not STRIPPED! It's got to be it... start here first, Do Not replace anything. Jersey Joe

265

The click ,click sound I hear you have.Could be the starter,battery,bad connection as a bad ground.Or ignition switch.Simply,switchout the battery with a good one and jump the solinode.The old school way of thinking!If you don't know what your doing then have it towed or pulled into a shop.I've seen starter fires happen from a bad starter.

60

If the battery is good, and the starter clicks once, your starter is either bad or not getting enough power. so check your connections. It might just be as easy as tightening your positive and negative terminals on the starter soleniod.

265

Hello,people.Here's a update as of 3/21/2012.I pushed it in the back yard for a month or so.Gave up on it.Last week,I changed the battery.Fired right up.Drove,ran all week.2 days ago it did the same darn thing.Will not start.Tried jumping it nothing.Batteries up/charged still nothing.Has a brand new starter/silnode, new battery post & Battery.Getting to things is hard to tight no room to do anything.Can't get to the silinode no room to tight.Starter wont drop down to tight no room.Was told starter drops down from straight up then down.Easier said then,done.hit's the frame no room to drop down.My next step is to change the starter switch.When you turn the egnition key you can here a relay click.Could it be a simple relay?This truck is one big joke!I'll never own another Sinoma S10 again.I know the standard things to do.I need to hear from someone that's been there and done it?I get so called experts here telling me to Ooo,change the battery.No beep!I don't need answers like that.Sounds like non of you ever worked on a Sinoma.I think I know more about this subject then any of you.I've asked one simple question.(How to drop the starter down?)This site isn't worth a crap!I give up on this site.None of you know you beep from a hole in the ground.None of you are experts just lonely people with too much time on your hands sounds sad!Get a lfe and move on.I asked this question 4-6 months ago.Todate no real answers.All I hear is Silinode.Well people?The silinode is on the starter.When you buy a new starter it comes with a new silnode.Here's another hint for you all,If your Gen check engine light in the dash board burns out.Will make it not start as well as many others as fusable links blow.Neutral safty switches go out. and I can go on.

130

Beep you bro.

70

Hi everyone my name in John, i have 94 gmc sub i have replace six starters added ground wires and it last for about two are three months tops, please contact me at 3213038186 with any suggestions, i thank you in advance

40

Thank you whoever said to check the starter cable. Hubby put a new starter on it and that didn't work. I checked this forum and told him to check that and it worked! Thanks so much.

120

Dan the man, I have a 98 GMC Sonoma 4x4 and it takes me about 4 minutes to drop my starter out. I think you might be doing it wrong.

60

I have a 99 Yukon. Having same problem. I can jump across the two starter nodes while in on position and it starts up. I'll be checking working on it tomorrow to troubleshoot. Anyone got advice

120

Update: mine turned out to be the ignition switch. I swapped it out about a week or two after my initial post and have not had any trouble since. If your wires are good and the solenoid is popping, this is a likely culprit. Best of luck.

20

I 've been messing with my 97 Yukon for months now. been having the same problems as everybody else. finally figured it out today took the wire harness off the neutral safety switch on the transmission and a couple of the wires were crowded. clean them up And and it starts every time now. Hope this helps some people.

We have a 2002 Yukon SLT. My husband put in a new starter and it would not turn over. So he replace the sensor, and it would start, but not turn over. Battery is new. HELP!

40

First off check to see if the positive battery cable has any corrosion on it. Then follow the positive cable to see if it splices off to the wiring harness. If it does splice off the cable should be about 12 inches long and that cable is only 10 bucks at your local parts store bit b4 you buy a new oNE cUT a small slit inot positive wire and look for any type of corrosion. If ita not copper colored its bad...if so Replace that first. Second check any and all grounds to the motor and frame. I had the same problem but mine was the positive cable that goes from the battety to the solenoid on the back of the starter was loose causing it to just click once and not turn over. I was able to tighten mine without dropping the starter and it fired right up. but it would be easier to check for corrosion on the post and always check cables for corrosion as well. It sounds like exactly what I went through. Brand new battery checked all cables and checked for corrosion newer 1yo starter and alternator and I still would get a click with no start. Any positive or ground wire needs to have a clean (shiny) tight connection in order to get all the voltage needed for the starter. Hope this helps.

30

There is a heat shield on the starter. In order for the starter to drop down, you have to remove the heat shield, then push the starter up and angle it down. Come right out..

10

i have a 2004 gmc sierra. one click then does not start it has happened before but i just turned it off after a good drive and now one click then nothing. at first there was no click at all. ive checked fuses wires and starter and all seem to be fine. i can get the truck turned over from having a wire from the ign fuse on the 87 side and the wire tester will turn it over. but it will not fire.

10

1998 Chevy Express 3500 Extended Bus Same 1 Click, no start...everyone said starter or solonoid. The Tow Truck driver even was tapping on the starter, said that some times works...It didn't. All kinds of devices used to try and start it with no results... I dug out mu little post wrench and loosened the Positive termina and retightened and it started right up first attempt. It's not always the battery or the starter, Sometimes it's the connection in the middle.

5

This solved our problem --- If the car is parked on an incline, put it in Reverse and let it roll a bit. Put it back in park and start normally This happened to my husband. Said that if parked on an incline and it rolls back a bit it causes the ignition switch to lock because car thinks it is in gear. Hope this helps someone else.

One click no start on 05 Chevy burb battery fine wont jump crawled under car gave starter a nice banging with wrench car started right up no problem since guy at auto zone suggested it said it’s a bad spot in starter easy test and fix