why am I still getting the codes?

20

Asked by Mar 06, 2016 at 08:02 PM about the 2002 Ford Windstar SE

I have replaced the mass airflow sensor both oxygen sensors upstream and downstream I have replaced the PCV valve twice along with all the connections and hoses had to special order them and I'm still getting the codes p0171 and 174 do I have a faulty computer or a bad EGR valve those the only two things that I can possibly think of there's no vacuum leaks nothing like that if somebody can answer that please let me know because I'd rather not take it to the Ford dealership and I'm really tired of putting money into it

37,955

P0171 2002 FORD WINDSTAR - Fuel Injection System Too Lean Bank 1 -Possible causes... - Intake air leaks - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor - Ignition misfiring - Faulty fuel injectors - Exhaust gas leaks - Incorrect fuel pressure - Lack of fuel - Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor - Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection Some Tech notes... The P0171 is a very common code for the 2002 Ford Windstar, the Intake Plenum Gasket ans seals needs to be replaced. Here a link to a web site with information how to repair: 1999-2003 Fords Windstar Code P0171 - Fuel injection system does not operate properly. - The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too small. (The mixture ratio is too lean.) Possible symptoms... - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Excessive Fuel Consumption P0171 2002 Ford Windstar Description.... With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios... In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the ECM judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).......... P0174 2002 FORD WINDSTAR - Fuel Injection System Too Lean Bank 2 Possible causes... - Intake air leaks - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor - Ignition misfiring - Faulty fuel injectors - Exhaust gas leaks - Incorrect fuel pressure - Lack of fuel - Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor - Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection Here are some Tech notes... The P0174 is a very common code for the 2002 Ford Windstar, the Intake Plenum Gasket ans seals needs to be replaced.. Here a link to a web site with information how to repair: 1999-2003 Fords Windstar Code P0174

20

The only two things I have not done is replace all the gaskets and the fuel injection I put fuel injection cleaner in every single time I fill up the van I use Lucas I use pretty much everything from Lucas by chance could it happen to be the fuel filter that's the only other thing I have not replaced besides the two forementioned things please let me know

20

Sorry also the follow up I have not replaced the EGR valve however I have replaced every vacuum line I have replaced the PCV valve twice and I don't honestly know what to do at this point I don't know whether I should take it into the Ford dealership or put a bullet in the thing I've had them check out everything else everything else pass with flying colors except the 171 and 174 code I erased the code few days later will come back on and it still says the same damn thing every time I have replaced pretty much everything you could think of or I've had it tested before and it still comes up with the same things the o2 sensors and mass air flow sensor the PCV valve should I just rip the whole intake apart and completely redo it?

37,955

Did those links show up in your e-mail? There are you tube videos on how to take care of these codes.

37,955

Every thing I come across is pointing to the plenum gasket and seals that are in the plenum. This is part of the intake manifold, it is a cover over the injectors. But getting into this I would do a fuel bleed down test to see if the injectors a leaking since your probably gonna be there anyway.

20

Yes I watch those videos on YouTube a while ago and they're no help I've done this smoke test before I replace the lines and after I replaced all the lines the only thing I want to know is could it be the fuel injectors or do I have a bad computer because otherwise I'm still want the codes keep going off and once they throw the check engine light I'm going to clear the codes each and every time so I really want to know you GR valve fuel injectors and or fuel filter or bad computer I've already said that I have replaced everything on it PCV valve twice mass air flow sensor and I still have the original mass air flow sensor both oxygen sensors none of that stuff can be faulty because it's brand new and its from Denso

20

So you think it was his much fuel injection cleaner at that I put in there and clean everything out wouldn't you think? So I'm going to replace the intake manifold gaskets and related gaskets with that and then I'm going to try the fuel filter be on that I am completely stumped and if it still throws the codes after that it's just going to have to stay that way

20

Sorry it just frustrates the crap out of me because of our two vehicles are 02 Windstar seems to give the biggest problems compared to our 98 expedition we don't have a quarter of the problems with our expedition like we do our Windstar part of the reason why I don't like working on our when stars because it's more computerized than the expedition and I won't own a new vehicle because it is 90 to 95% computerized what you start making computers take over the work you take to the ability of the man to work on the vehicle away I grew up in the old school of you own a vehicle you better know hands on how to fix it and take care of it

37,955

I was only suggesting to check the injectors since you will be right there anyway, hate to tear apart again. From what I see it is a vacuum leak at the plenum & related gaskets on the intake manifold. I think they make a gasket kit for this. It is a very common problem on this vehicle. Oh an no I don't think the amount of injection cleaner is hurting anything, you just don't need to do it as much as you are. Doesn't hurt to replace the fuel filter, but that is not the problem. It is sucking air from the intake plenum and related gaskets. Al-tho the intake manifold could leak air also so it wouldn't hurt to replace that gasket also. I do not think there is anything wrong with the computer.

37,955

I'm old school also, I'd by a 57' 2 door Chevy over a new vehicle, and people think I'm nuts.lol. But I had to learn this new stuff mainly because I take care of all my family's cars.

58,405

You may be right,bad PCM,

i had this problem and fixed myself its inside the intake 8 bolts that leak inside intake take intake off must remove windshield wipers from the cups where they attach . remove plastic cover then steel cove don't forget to unplug wiper motor harness .be careful to unplug wiper fluid hoses underneath the plastic cover remove then the bold holding intake on .remember to unplug any plugs in way Take your time the bolts causing code 171 and 174 are the 8 inside under intake , They have rubber washer on them remove and replace with new ones cost 73.00 dollars at ford dealer. I did mine no more codes.

can get more info on internet

heres a link https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=replace+bolts+inside+intake+ford+windstar&view=detail&mid=3DD97E3A27B125269F5C3DD97E3A27B125269F5C&FORM=VIRE