brake light sticking and staying on

Asked by Mar 08, 2007 at 09:28 AM about the 2002 Ford Windstar SE

8,285

It is a wiring issue. If the brake lights keep sticking it will slowly drain your battery so I would get this checked out as soon as possible. You need to hook up your car to a diagnostics machine. You can go to a local mechanic and they should be able to help. Good Luck!

20

hey i had the same thing happen to me and i sprayed the hell out of the brake switch with wd-40 and no more problem I hope this will help

220

I had the same problem. The wd-40 worked for awhile but the problem returned. I replaced the brake switch. The part is about $15 at Auto Zone. The job took about 5 minutes. I am a 54 year old mom with no auto repair experience so that is how easy this job was. All you need is a small flat headed screwdriver to help release the clip and disconnect the wires and a flashlight so you can see. Just follow the brake up under the dash and you will see a black rectangular looking plastic thingy (about 3" x 2") with wires coming out of one end. Unclip the spring clip. Disconnect the wires (there is a slot you have to slide the screwdriver in to release the plug). Look carefully to see how the metal rod fits into the plastic box. Slide off the black switch, slide on the new on and replace the clip and reconnect the wires. The hardest part was figuring out how to fit into the car so I could see what I was doing. Believe me, if I can do this anyone can do it.