"Rushing" noise when going from 1st to 2nd

Asked by Jun 07, 2010 at 08:22 PM about the 1997 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE 4WD SUV

This may be a hard one to describe, but here goes:

When first starting up and driving my Jimmy, over the normal acceleration noise I hear this other 'rushing' noise (like air rushing, or a fan working hard) up until it shifts into 2nd gear, then once it shifts everything sounds normal.

I don't hear this noise EVERY time I drive, just here and there. I don't know much about vehicles, but I'm leaning more toward tranny problems, although it still shifts well, no major jerking or clunkiness.

I know this may be a hard one to help with just given a description, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also, secondary question: Is there any way to tell for sure if my Jimmy is a 96 or 97? The guy I bought it off said it's a 97, and there is a 97 owners manual in the glove box, but I just got a reciept from a trustworthy mechanic saying its a 96. Not a big deal, would just like to know if possible.

15

That rushing noise. is tranny. only when you punch it hard from a stop? well not real hard. but fast enough. mine does the same thing. i havnt worried about it until i slip gears. its been that way for 3 years now. for the year. open drivers door and look on the sticker on the side of the door. under the lock. should tell you when the truck was made. hope i was some help. take care