engine light on

35

Asked by Jan 19, 2015 at 01:16 PM about the 2002 Ford Thunderbird Base Convertible

My 2092 T Bird's check engine light is on.  I have taken it to several places that have the
hand held computer checker and it won't show anything on it.  Everything is fine in as far
as the oil, gas cap, etc.  What would it be?

100,495

So is it the yellow light or the red light?

35

Well, I had to replace the battery today and the engine light went off.

100,495

Don't get excited yet, when you disconnected the battery you reset the ECM so it lost the codes so the light went off, it's just a temporary thing, once the ECM sees the problem it will turn the back on. But anyway that told me that it is an emissions control light, not an oil pressure light. I have had a few Fords not meet the protocol version on my tester, so I have to do a firmware update on my code reader then I could get the codes. You may have to go to a good shop to get it to read or you have a wiring problem in the OBD connective circuit.

I was told to go 60 and brake 5 to 6 times. One person has told me this works. Haven't tried it yet but car has been tested and looked and nothing is wrong. I've read this a common problem (the light turning on for no reason) in TBs

I have a 92 Thunderbird and my check engine light will come on for a few seconds then goes off. once my vehicle has ran for a while, I tends to stay on longer, but eventually goes off again. I hear and feel no difference in the vehicles performance, sound, etc... I went to Auto Zone to get it checked but they said that they can only check vehicles from 1998 and newer. I called the Ford dealership and they want $120.00 to diagnose the problem. however, the gentleman I spoke with said "Huh... that's strange" which indicates; to me, that there may not be an issue at all. That this may be a common occurrence with older Thunderbirds.

100,495

Guruxkz8 it is not a normal problem even with the junk they call fuel you should not have any light. You can actually get the codes yourself, just search how to get ford obd1 codes and you should be able to find the diagram on what wires to jumper and what wires to put in your test light and read the flash out codes, there should also be a code chart. If your new at it then it might take a could of tries before you get it right, just make sure you count the flashes correctly or you will go crazy with invalid codes. So read it carefully before going at it.

100,495

Hers the site. http://www.freeautomechanic.com/diagnostictroblecodes7.html