1998 gmc sonoma alarm

40

Asked by May 23, 2015 at 06:37 PM about the 1998 GMC Sonoma 2 Dr SL Standard Cab LB

40

Oops, sorry the question is how to shut off the alarm

Click on a button

40

What do you mean click on a button

75,755

With my '00 Grand Prix the alarm is only set when you lock the car using the key fob. If you lock the car manually or with the door lock button on the door panel it does not set the alarm. If the alarm is going off uncontrollably try either starting the truck or unlocking it with the key fob. HTH. - Jim

40

I don't have a key fob, only a manual key, and somehow I'm locked out from even starting the truck, trying to start it doesn't do anything

75,755

I see. Are you trying to use a new or different key? If so, the new key must be programmed to the truck. Otherwise, if you're using the same key as always, it's going to be a problem with the anti- theft module. HTH. -Jim

40

Nope, It's the same key as before, and what do you mean about it being in the anti theft module, do you mean it might be broken?

75,755

Yes, it sounds like the anti-theft module is not recognising the key anymore. Your truck uses a transponder key. There's a chip in the head of the key that tells the anti-theft module that the correct key is being used to start the truck. If the anti-theft module doesn't recognize the key it won't enable the starter to crank the engine. It'll also shut down the fuel pump and ignition system if you try to bypass the security system. HTH. -Jim

40

So how would I go about getting it to recognize it, because that seems to be exactly what is happening?

75,755

I'm assuming that you don't have another, working, key. Unfortunately you'll have to be towed to your local GM Dealer for them to replace the anti-theft module and program your key(s) to the truck. If, by chance, you do have a working key, proceed as follows. Start the truck, shut it off, remove the key. Immediately insert the nonworking key and turn the ignition to the run position but don't try to start the truck. Wait for the "security" light to go off. Turn the ignition off then immediately start the truck with the newly programmed key. You'll be all set. But for this procedure to work you must have a working key. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

Ok, I actually will be getting a second key soon, the previous owner didn't have it on him when we bought it, so I might be able to do that method once I get it, thanks for the help I really appreciate it, so why would it stop recognizing this key when the alarm started going off?

75,755

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sounds like the truck "thinks" someone was trying to steal it so it shut down. But it should have started and shut off the alarm with the correct key. It could still be an anti-theft module issue. We'll see once you can get the other key. HTH. -Jim

40

Must have been something I did while working on the stereo, but yeah, hopefully that second key solves all of this