How do I replace a broken tail light?

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 12:02 AM about the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

I've opened up the carpet in the trunk and have unscrewed the 3 thumb tightened plastic nuts. The tail light seems to be attached under the bumper seam as well. How do I access those fasteners?

It's just the three plastic nuts from within the trunk. Slide the tail light assembly rearward and you'll be able to access the bulb sockets. Yours might be stuck so just bump it gently to loosen it. Method hasn't changed much from earlier model years. Video:

Just to be clear I'm not replacing the bulbs the lens is cracked . I t appears the there is a plastic flange on the bottom of the tail light unit. Is that attached or does it slide under the bumper seam? I have removed the three nuts , it's loose but won't pop out it seams that it is still attached?

To get to the bulbs you are effectively removing the entire tail light assembly, which is held in only by those three plastic nuts on it's back side that you reach through the trunk. Something might be hung up on it (it might even be the wiring harness). Place the nuts at the end of the threaded bolts, and rap on them gently, the assembly should pop toward you.

KenF Thanks so much for your attention! Here is a link to the replacement tail light I've ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet. Notice the flange at the bottom I'm pretty sure this is still attached but not accessible without removing the bumper cover?

I am having the same problem with my 2015 Impala. There is a plastic flange that is screwed (3 screws) to the bottom of the tail light lens and that flange is wedged under the rear bumper. So the rear bumper is definitely between the flange and the lens. It appears to me that the only way to get the lens out is to remove the rear bumper cover because of that flange. If anyone knows a better way, I would love to hear it. Or an easy way to remove that rear bunper . . .

2013 malibu ltz if you remove the one screw on the rear bumper cover located above the rear tire it will be in a angle 8mm bolt just pull the cover out a little and back to rear of the vehicle pry down and that will give you room to reinstall the light. it will fit the notches on the cover and just press the panel back into place and reinstall the bolt. 10 MIN Job.