I've been driving my 85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer for a year now and I love it. My only concern is the poor gas mileage. I've been thinking about ways to improve fuel efficiency, thinking a lot about electric vehicle conversion. Unfortunately the grand wagoneer may be a too heavy for an EV conversion. Is there anything I can do to improve the horrible gas mileage? Thx!

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 08:18 PM about the 1985 Jeep Wagoneer STD 4WD

1985 Grand Wagoneer
Electric truck conversion
Fuel Efficiency

12,410

for a lot of money, you could switch to a more efficient fuel injected engine, maybe even a v6. however, it would still be trying to move a pretty big pile of metal. you are probably stuck with her, the only thing you can really do is make sure of her maintenance. fresh tune up, clean new fluids, correct tire pressure, all will help, but anything else would be like trying to make a gazelle out of a rhino. Im with you though, those old wagoneers were awesome vehicles

1,595

Not easy to make your tank more efficient. Think about reducing the weight any where you can, like removing the back seats, make light weight wood bumpers or push bars, don't carry a lot of unessersary junk around. Increase the ingnition spark like with a MSD power unit. Find & use some hard 60 psi high pressure tires like commercial or military non- directional's to reduce rolling resistance. Install an overdrive transmition. Hone-o-drive used to make a rear axial bolt on unit. Use high perf slippery fluids, & synthetic oil, keep it tuned up, add a cold air intake with a K & N air filter. (I made one from ordinary drier hoses & scoops to the front bumper once, or too the empty high beam headlight buckets). Good luck.

1,595

A fiberglass hood perhaps? Remove all carpet & pad, install plastic astro turf. They have many colors & patterns. And or paint the interior with bed liner paint. Cut a big rectangle in the roof & install dark green plexiglass for a sunroof. Reduce over-all weight is the best thing I can tell you. If not in the cold, add canvas half doors & plastic roll-up windows for the front drivers & passenger sides. Racers drill 3" inch holes in their frames to reduce weight. A V6 or straight 6 always an alternitive too, I like the big Chevy six cylindar 250-292 cubic inch. And use an aluminum "TransDapt" adapter.