not getting enough spark to start even when spray starting fluid on my 1987 350 tbi sub.

Asked by May 05, 2017 at 09:50 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet Suburban V10 4WD

did tune up coil fuel filter plugs est.

74,755

Check the rotor on the underneath side in the center for a burn mark, spark would be going it ground there. Then if that is good it would be the ignition control module. You can have it tested at an auto parts store to be sure.

control module tested good. changed coil still does not have enogh spark

74,755

So the spark color is not white, blueish in color? Does it look orange in color?

orange

74,755

Did you say you put a new coil on this? If so, it may be that it is not grounded good. Some coils have a coating around the metal piece where the mounting brackets bolt on to, make sure that area is cleaned up along with the mounting brackets that bolt to it. Clean the mounting bracket surface where the bolts go into the intake.

my injector drips instead of sprays and has good pressure at filter for a second. fuel relay is good bran new. I'll put it together and let you know.

74,755

Ok, gas dripping from the injectors is not good. There may not be enough fuel pressure, which should be 9 to 13 lbs. Fuel pump or fuel regulator would need to be looked at. What about the spark? It should be white, blueish in color, orange is a weak spark. Did you do anything about that?

I have cleaned the intake and coil pints for good ground. I did find three wires at the back of engine loose they are not powered so I bolted them to the back of engine and tranny. I tried to start her and did the same. I checked the volts going to the injectors to tbi and read 12 but when cranking went down to 9.2 then jumped up 10.

74,755

That all sounds ok. I'm thinking you may need two new fuel injectors. Sounds like the ones that are on there are plugged. Should try and do a fuel pressure check tho.