is this my transmission or transfer case?

Asked by Aug 08, 2015 at 04:52 AM about the 1987 GMC Suburban V1500 4WD

Over the past couple weeks ive been hearing a very strange grinding/whining sound coming from somewhere in my front end, nobody could tell me what it was, last night i turned onto the interstate (the noise always got very loud when i turn right) and it fell out of gear, i have never had any signs of issues with my transmission before. i shuffled through gears and it would not work and i got a horrible noise when i tried to put it in park, I was able to drive when i put my transfer case in to 4- hi until i parked, then it made a terrible noise again and would not drive until i put it in 4-lo, then i was able to drive it in any gear including in 2 wheel drive i never engaged my hubs so i do not know what difference putting it in 4 did.

Old GMC's blow serious boners! Get rid of it ASAP!! UGH! Trade this POS car in, Bubba!! Time for a brand new start!! Room-A-Zoom-Zoom, baby!! Summer Sales are still Sizzlin' HOT and you could be stylin' & profilin' in a new ride with fries on the side!!