2015 Subaru Forester, it starts after cranking more than normal and often need to crank twice

Asked by Jun 17, 2015 at 07:55 PM about the 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium

The dealer told me to bring it in for service. The software needs to be updated. I took it
to the dealer and was told it will take an hour to fix it. As I did not get a call back 5
hours later, I called and was told that the Subaru USA had to update the dealers
computer, so they could do the software update. He said it may take until the end of
the day (3 more hours).
I am a mechanical engineer, I was alert when I heard this and asked if this software
update was necessary on all the 2015 models. The answer was: no only on some.
I asked, so obviously my car is the first one which has a software problem.
This smells bad!
Anyone had a problem with the 2015 Subaru Forester starting not quite as it should,
and often have to crank it twice or more?
After I got the car back, I checked the oil level and it was about 1/2" above the second
hole, is this the full level or is it overfilled?

If ur car still in the shop- dont need to worry about it- They will probably fixed by relacing the ignition- timer or else Fell confident subaru warranty is great-

104,185

How long does it take to start? I have noticed the Subaru boxer engine does not turn over as fast as other engines and takes a fraction of a second longer than my other cars. Both my old one and my new one sound weak when starting but I think it is just the engine design. The high oil reading is caused by the car sitting too long before checking the oil as per my dealer. He says they shut the engine off and wait exactly 5 minutes (timed) and then check oil. Waiting longer will show the oil level as high.

10

My 2015 subaru forrester has trouble starting. On three separate occasions, it has cranked but not started. In each case, I pumped the gas, waited a while and tried again and it worked. Put it in the shop and was told they can't find anything wrong with the car. This shouldn't be happening with a car that is just over a year old.

This has just started happening to me. Twice I've had to be jump-started. The dealer is saying that my battery is finr and they cannot find a problem. Same 2015 Subaru Forester. I'm angry.

I have a 2015 XT that barely started today. Not sure what the problem is.

10

I don't think it's a battery issue, it's a fuel distribution issue. It cranks enough to start but doesn't start. Dealer said they could not find anything wrong. We had just filled it with gas and it didn't want to start. Let it sit for a minute and it started. Not the battery.

10

Im having trouble with my 2016 Forrester doing this same thing. It has been fine just up until a couple days ago. It cranks a few times, then starts. I turned all air flow off before I started it again , that seems to help, but not on every start. It still did it . Im taking my car in this next Saturday . I hope it doesn't get to where I cannot start it. Is this an issue with Subaru?

I am having this problem with my 2017 subaru forester. Nothing at all happens when you turn the key. Sometimes i take the key out and start again, then on the 4th or 5th try, it might work. Last night it happened again but it would not start at all. It had to be towed cos its only 1 year old and under guarantee. This morning the Subaru service people phone and say its starting perfectly. But this is not good enough; I'm scared of being stranded somewhere. Reading this forum, it seems to be a known issue!

10

I have a 2017 Subaru Forester with the same issue. Twice in the last few weeks it has taken multiple attempts (5-7) to get it started.

I took it to the place where it is serviced; after extensive tests (which were difficult because, of course it didn't happen while it was there). They suggest it might be the sensor underneath the clutch. This is the sensor that turns engine off when you stop if you put car in neutral. Usually you then put the clutch in to restart. So they replaced it. All i can do is wait and see if it happens again. It is difficult for them to diagnose an intermittent fault.

I just got a certified pre-owned 2015 forester. After having it for 3 months, it is hesitant to start. have to try a couple times and it sputters a bit. It is still under warranty. I am bringing it to dealer. They better fix it and not blow me off. I am hoping it is the battery or spark plugs an easy fix not a mystery or they say there's nothing wrong with it. My sis has a 2014 legacy and hasn't had any trouble. I feel like going back to Toyotas.. but thought subarus were supposed to be so great.